visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Paint Choices for Craftsman Kit Building

13»

Comments

• Thanks guys for the list. I will look into these.
  • Where would one find all these for purchase? A general search is bringing me to AK interactive web site.
  • That is where I buy mine. Direct. If you are ordering only one sku, the shipping will kill you. That is why I ordered a bunch to make up the high price retailers are asking vs the shipping charge. (over 180 euro is free)
    There are a number of online hobby stores and ebay that have them as well. Michigan Toy Solder company (or something like that) has a very good selection.
  • Ken suggested Michigan Toy Soldier for the AK paints. They have a very extensive list. I went to their website to look into ordering them. They have 11 pages of AK product. I was not able to get through the whole list. I would get through about half of the pages then when I clicked on the next page I would get a 404 message something about cookies being too large.
  • I am painting some plaster brick buildings. I want to use acrylics. I bought the new MIG brick red. It is way to red for me. What colors are you using for bricks? Do I have to mix colors? I also know that two colors should be spotted on the walls.

Thanks,
    Mike S.
  • i use cheap craft paint called heritage brick.
  • Thanks Kevin, I will look for that color.

Mike S.
  • Mike, I like to paint the bricks using a couple of colors (your choice) then go over with a reddish/brown wash to tie them all together after the first coat is completely dry. This tones down the first color and blends all the colors together.
  • Thanks for the replies and some techniques that you use. I found a red oxide by Liquitex that I'm going to start with along with a few other reds, browns and oranges. I will try the wash to tie things together too.

Mike S.
  • I really need to try the AK Gen 3 Acrylics. Michigan Toy Soldier is open late on Thursdays...
  • edited July 2021
    I would buy from Dave at Last Cavaley real good guy Opened his own Shop use to work at Michigan toy Soldier but left when he found out about the owner. His shop is in Royal Oak Mich I believe Dave is one of the Best Fiqure painters in the world.
  • CraigH said:

I would buy from Dave at Last Cavaley real good guy Opened his own Shop use to work at Michigan toy Soldier but left when he found out about the owner. His shop is in Royal Oak Mich I believe Dave is one of the Best Fiqure painters in the world.

On his site. Thanks!

• I do love MIG Ammo acrylics - I have been using them for individual brick painting. Paint comes off the brush really well and doesn't leave a clump of paint part way up the bristles like the craft paints. I've been trying to simulate thinning the craft paints with windshield wiper fluid and a bit of Vallejo matt medium.
  • After doing some work with the 3rd Gen AK, I am finding that a drop on the palette dries a little too quick around the edges. I am highlighting bricks across several walls which is a bit time consuming. I switched to a wet palette and that seems to have resolved the issue.
  • There is also retarder available that will slow drying.
  • KKarns said:

There is also retarder available that will slow drying.

I will have to pick some up next trip to art store.

• I purchased the Reaper paint set a few years ago from Brett and have to say these paints are the best for detailing all the resin and metal parts.
    Unfortunately, the paint set and paints are no longer available.
    After reviewing this post and looking at Brett's updated paint suggestion on AK Interactive 3rd generation Acrylic paints, I decided to purchase a few Paints from Toy Soldier and check it out.
  • edited December 2021
    Received a few paints from these folks a few weeks back. I found that many are not available. Antique white, Medium Brown, Raw Umber (dark brown), light grey, kelly green, Muddy green, Burnt sienna, Maroon.
    I will check other places and keep you all posted.