visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Paint Choices for Craftsman Kit Building

Comments

• edited September 2020
    Makes sense, and thanks for doing the foot work on this.
  • I am looking forward to the results.

You know another good thread would be what kind or brand paint brushes hold up the best for detail painting. I have bought countless brushes over the years and most have curled at the tip and frayed. I clean my brushes thoroughly after each use and store them bristled down until they are dry. Still have problems. Frustrating trying to paint small details with frayed brushes. I have purchased brushes from Hobby Lobby, Michael's and even a local art supply store with similar results. Although the expensive art supply store brushes have held up better for me but still have issues.
  • Hey Brett, went to a site that has a full range of the 3rd generation AK Acrylics. Quite an extensive color selection and should match up well to the Reaper colors and then some. Made a sample order of some basic colors to try...
  • TomMich said:

You know another good thread would be what kind or brand paint brushes hold up the best for detail painting.

I buy medium priced brushes and discard them when they no longer work well. The tips wear out and for a few dollars I replace them.

• edited October 2020
    KKarns said:

Hey Brett, went to a site that has a full range of the 3rd generation AK Acrylics. Quite an extensive color selection and should match up well to the Reaper colors and then some. Made a sample order of some basic colors to try...

I love the 3rd gen AK. Been reaching for them more than any other brand as I paint details. They hold up really well to weathering and the post-painting processes.

I look forward to your feedback and thoughts once you get a chance to use them.
  • Brett,
    That's probably what I will have to start doing, recognizing when a brush is going bad and buying a new one. I guess I try to extend their life too long. I have some natural bristle brushes that I have had for over 30 years, they are larger sizes, and they have held up very well over time. I have no idea when or where I got them, but was hoping to find some more like those. They are starting to lose bristles. My detail brushes are the ones I use most and those are the ones I was hoping would last longer. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Ken,
    What is the site you have found for the AK acrylics?
  • I buy whatever brushes are on sale locally, in regards to painting small details. I was just looking at my packages of 000 and they don't say what they are. (natural or synthetic)

I have had really good luck buying paint from several eBay sellers.
  • Tom, the site is Michigan Toy Soldier...make sure you find the 3rd gen AK acrylics...huge selection a bit pricey?...see what you think
  • engine909 said:

Brett, All natural brushes I would guess?

I buy whatever brushes are on sale locally, in regards to painting small details. I was just looking at my packages of 000 and they don't say what they are. (natural or synthetic)
  • I started off with cheap craft paints, but I find on the castings AK and Vallejo are definitely superior.

Much easier to get a good look with them.
  • admin said:

KKarns said:

Hey Brett, went to a site that has a full range of the 3rd generation AK Acrylics. Quite an extensive color selection and should match up well to the Reaper colors and then some. Made a sample order of some basic colors to try...

I love the 3rd gen AK. Been reaching for them more than any other brand as I paint details. They hold up really well to weathering and the post-painting processes.

I look forward to your feedback and thoughts once you get a chance to use them.
    Sounds good Ken,
    I am also interested in your feedback and also listing of the colors you are trying out.
    Brett, thanks for your thoughts on these as well.
    Thanks guys, much appreciated,
    --Paul
  • Ken, thanks for the MI Toy Soldier info. They do have a huge selection of AK paints. Prices are not much more than Reaper paints, and if they are a good quality they are probable worth it.
  • I recently got the new line of paints by AK interactive. REAL COLORS and I must say they are better than anything I've used before. An enormous range of colors , more specific for military modelers. To be used with a brush, or the spraygun . Check the reviews on YouTube.

For painting the castings and figures, I only use the best quality brushes made from kolinsky sable hairs. Nothing more frustrating than paint brushes with hairs that turn into rastafarian hairdu's after little use.
  • Robert - it's not the brush, it's your talent. I would bet you could do wonders with a cheap brush! For most of us buying expensive "kolinsky sable hair" brushes won't improve our painting one hair!

Question for you Robert - So the AK interactive REAL COLORS are "acrylic lacquer paints". I am unfamiliar with this type. What do you thin it with and what advantages/disadvantages do they have over traditional water based or solvent paints?
  • edited October 2020
    First, thanks for that compliment, but a good quality brush helps. I always go for the best I can afford. We do prefer SW kits over others not ?

For the Real Color line, they are thinned with any brand lacquer thinner, Tamya,AK, Mr. Hobby, Gaia, or plain alcohol. No water, or acryllic thinners. That will turn the paint into gum. No window cleaners or similar as it contains water or ammonia. Don't use them !

That also means the paint dries fairly quick. With acryllic paints, you can add a retarder.
    They also have, like any lacquer paint a stronger odor than acryllic paints.
    They have SUPER coverage with very little paint. As with the spraygun as with the brush. Even without primer. For the spraygun, a 50 to 70% diluting works fine. I dilude for brushwork aswel .
    When dry, they are extremely tough. Will take any kind of weathering.
    And as far as this is important for us , not military modelers, a huge range of original colors taken from real samples. I would say, get one bottle and give it a try.
    The bottlles are the same as the Tamya ones. With on top and on the bottom the color visible. This makes it very easy to pick the color you need and stir the paint before using.
    And these type of bottles don't tip over like the tall acryllic ones.
    The Real Color paints mix with any lacquer paint, not with acryllic paints. Turns to gum.
    They dry dead flat. As mat as can be! No sheen at all. Just like chalk paint or the Tamya paints.

So, I hope this gives you guys an idea of this type of paint. I do not have any interest in AK, but they do have good products.
    Of course, I never used Reaper, Floquil so I can't compare.

Perhaps, Eric can give his opinion as an artist on the brushes.
  • Thank you Robert, I really appreciate the explanation. I am going to buy some and test them out.
  • I really like my SWSM paint set. I'm sorry that went away! Has anyone looked at or used the Vallejo Old and New Wood effects? If so do they have the same issue of developing a shine when worked? These are their Model Air line and I know brush paints are favored (Model Air will brush apply satisfactorily). I'm thinking of trying them but would like feedback first.
  • i'm interested too.
  • from ed:
    Colors are quite accurate.

Left to right or top to bottom

Top picture send

Top fresh cut timber
    Bottom light grey

Next picture down
    Wood base
    Middle grey

Next picture down
    Dark wood grain
    Light grey brown

As so on as indicated on boxes

Top colors are warm Vol. One
    Bottom colors are cold Vol. Two

The book by AK interactive entitled
    Realistic Wood Effects is well worth it. As are the videos on you tube.

My opinion. For small items barrels, wood tools, resin castings, very good. Walls of especially an O scale kit. Toooooo expensive.
    A set is 22 dollars for six tiny bottles.

Kevin videos are exceptional. Combining acrylics with enamels like Robert does it.
    You set up your work station and do a shit load at a time. Especially if you have a lit if castings that were bought as sets from Brett or left overs. I go quite a few from Deco. Good but not great. A very good weathering job can make them very good. I suggest do some as you watch the Packers best Da Bears. Maybe.
    Unless AR had his head up his ass like Sunday.set 1
    set 2
    set 3
    set 4
    set 5
    set 6
  • If you are looking at purchasing a bunch of AK paints, take a look at ordering directly from the AK website. I placed an order on 10-13, and it arrived via DHL on 10-19. Excellent speed considering they come from Spain. The shipping is around 20 bucks, but the prices are way lower direct. You have to do the math to decide if it is worth it for you.
  • I bought some thru Amazon...if you have Prime.....some sets are free shipping......I paid $5 on others....
  • Second round of AK came in yesterday. Played around with a few today. I personally love them. As a novice, they make my painting work easier. Sigh...new paint rack already too small.....PaintSupply
  • i'm jealous.

i'm gonna switch to macrame.....
  • Wow! you have a hobby shop display right there. Can't say much though, I just ordered a few more myself.
  • No need to give up Kevin. Your modeling skill is WAY better than mine. My wife uses some of these as well for her painting, so it is not as huge as it seems.
  • I have considered purchasing some of the AK paints. There are so many product choices. Do any of you that have used them have any recomendations as to which product and colors to start with?
  • You can't go wrong with the AK streaking colors like rust, grime, water marks, etc. Get some glossy colors like grease and engine oil. A dark and light brown and gray wash will come in handy as well.
  • Agree with Bryan. I would add the heavy chipping acrylic fluid to the list. Works great and is another tool in the arsenal. I absolutely love the Gen 3 Acrylics as well.
  • Chipping essential set: AK138
    Crusted rust set: AK4110
    Engine & Metal weathering set: AK087
    Streaking effects set: AK062
    Leather & Buckles set: AK3030
    Slimy grime light (single): AK027
    Slimy grime dark (single): AK026
    Fuel Stains (single): AK025
    Moss deposits (single): AK676

There are many, many more, but these seemed most pertinent.
    I also grabbed a set of flesh tones and uniform sets for painting the mechanics figures someday.