visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Low nap Carpet

Any advice on what would give the appearance of low nap Carpet?
I’m working on a glass shop/warehouse (construction glass) and am making the roof removable to view the interior space. In the 1:1 world a glass shop would have a cutting table about 72x96 covered with low nap Carpet so the glass doesn’t scratch when laying flat on the table. Any thoughts on what to use to represent the carpet? (HO)
Thanks
Terry

Comments

• Terry.
    How about a pice a velcro.
  • I would experiment with a fine piece of sand paper. Or maybe not so fine depending on your preference. Cut it to the size you need and paint it. I don't picture sand paper taking a thin pastel watercolor to well.

Never tried it but in my imagination it works.
  • A piece of suede? Or perhaps felt?
  • What about a photo of the carpet, then put glass from a microscope slide on top ready to be cut?...Rick
  • Karl who.
  • Thanks guys for the advice and suggestions. I was confident that I'd get pointed in the right direction with your help.

What I decided on is micro fiber cloth for cleaning eyeglasses. I have a piece that I use but the color is a light blue and not what I want for my cutting table model. Thanks to Amazon, I have an assortment of colors arriving on Tuesday with several colors to choose from.

Ultimately, as I was building the table it occurred to me that at HO scale, looking in thru the trusses that will be in place after the roof is removed, this is probably a mute point and I probably could have just painted the surface and been done with it.

Thanks again...'talking' out loud and reading your comments put me on the path that I think I'll be happy with.
    Terry
  • Yes Ed, you’re correct...as a last resort maybe but not my preferred methodology
    Terry