visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Carrier Information - FYI

Since the worldwide pandemic begin I have shipped "a bunch" of packages and wanted to provide some general observations:

Domestic- -USA:
Priority Mail packages are being delivered with minimal delays
First Class Mail packages are experiencing significant delays
UPS is experiencing minimal delays
FedEx is experiencing minimal delays

Canada:
Overall shipments are moving at their normal pace with minimal delays

Overseas:
Shipments are either being delivered with minimal delays or experiencing significant delays
There doesn't seem to be any reason why some packages are delayed and others aren’t, it doesn't matter the destination country

Hope you find this information helpful…

Comments

• edited May 2020
    Thanks for taking the time to keep us all updated.
    Always great (but rare) to have a manufacturer who cares enough to make a 'pre-emptive strike' in times of trouble.
  • This is better than expected. Glad you watched it.
  • Brett has it right. He sent me a first class domestic envelope that took over three weeks to deliver. We had given up hope that it would ever arrive. Phil
  • Just a heads up for holiday shipping. I mailed a bunch of packages yesterday that I knew were Christmas presents. My Mail dude (been friends for 5+ years) told me in his 20 years as a carrier he has never seen so many packages backed-up in the system and in jeopardy of being delivered after the holidays. He said there are physically WAY more packages in the system than there are bodies who can deliver them. Temps are being employed to deliver so keep a close eye on your tracking to make sure they are not mis-delivered.
  • Just throwing this out there, but have you ever looked at DHL for overseas delivery? I have had a number of items come from Spain and England via DHL that arrive in 4-5 days. I was rather surprised the first time they were that quick. Not sure how they actually compare price wise.
  • Thanks for the suggestion and yes DHL in excellent coming to the US. In my experience no different than anybody else outbound tho...
  • ever since dejoy was appointed post master general and decided to slow the mail down i've been experiencing big delays. i am required by law to send a notice of meeting out in the us mail 10 days prior to a meeting, and i've been sending three weeks early only to be told that they were received days after the meeting. this is not good or normal usps turn times. hopefully it will return to normal soon.
  • Depends on what your going to call "NORMAL"!!

Jerry
  • Yesterday, I got the junk mail for a credit card offer which said the offer expires on 12/12/20. yesterday was the 14th.
  • Never received this in over 40 years of shipping:

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 10.07.43 AM
  • I shipped a diorama Dec. 7 Priority U.S mail. It just arrived yesterday.
  • I got the same message this morning. I have a package that left Colorado on the 11th and hasn't been scanned since....
  • this is an unintended consequence of voter suppression. there's no other way to sugarcoat it. certain people didn't want mail in ballots to be counted, and did their damnedest to slow it down. it worked.
  • The slowdown is all about package volume. Over the last decade online shopping has increased dramatically and with covid this year is record breaking. UPS, FedEx, and DHL are experiencing similar increases in volume and they had nothing to do with ballot delivery.
  • One of my daughters may be single handedly to blame. I just went to the mailbox and when I opened it packages literally started falling out...all hers.
  • Sounds like you need the biggy size mailbox!mailbox
  • Bryan,

Ditto for my wife. Our mailbox is generally jammed full with catalogs. I like to tease our letter carrier after she slowly pulls away from our mail box, " I could hear your truck let out a sigh/moan and rise up about an inch after visiting our mailbox daily." She smiles and nods as she continues her route.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • The interesting thing is... it's not just usps seeing these slowdowns... ups and fedex are placing package limits on retailers...

With the covid online shopping is at historic levels...

Also, keep in mind; amazon is now doing the majority of their deliveries with their own vehicles.. so, these capacity issues are non-amazon induced for the most part..

Below is an interesting article on the topic.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/fedex-ups-limiting-package-pickups-what-that-means-for-retailers-51608051540
  • Keep a close eye on your USPS deliveries. Out this way thieves are stealing mail right out of people's mailboxes. The porch pirates are even worse than ever. The word is out that people are getting all their shopping done online.