visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Sturgeons Sawmill...

2»

Comments

• Dave....it was amazing.....I also have some good photos of some mining stuff....along with the Yosemite Sugar Pine Railroad operations....
  • Sturgeons 09

This is a planer....
  • I decided to put the belts overhead so that they would add interest to the project. They would be hidden from site if put under the deck.
  • Most interesting to compare the real mill and SW version. Thanks for sharing Muddy.
  • edited May 2020
    Wonderful photos of the real mill, such a lucky break to have a personal tour from the owner, damn that was a fortunate experience.

Thank you so much for sharing your day/time with us, these shots are really going to help and show the reality to many of us modelers. Brett and I spent months and months (ultimately probably a year or two) researching the Sturgeons Mill, along with many other logging facilities to make sure the kit was as accurate and as plausible as possible, not a direct facsimile of Sturgeons but heavily based upon it, and every adaption to make it a viable and attractive kit was deeply researched and based on reality to make it as authentic as possible.

Those were the best, most enjoyable and rewarding months/years of my modeling time, such an honor to be a part of the greatest kit ever produced. (At the time, now, as he always did/does, Brett continues to keep pushing that line with every new release.)

Thanks again for these informative pics that will help us all understand, emulate and improve our models.
    Great stuff !!!
  • edited May 2020
    Oh, and that last pic of the planer looks way too clean, needs some 'grunge'... and they would never leave that bucket and gas bottle next to the machinery, way too dangerous, tripping hazard.....
  • edited May 2020
    Dang Ed, you know I've got a 'Keen' eye for these things...
  • Karl it was a great half day of learning everything I ever wanted to know about the mill. Bob was surprised that a guy from NJ was as familiar with logging as I was. He was even impressed when I "crawled" into a few machines to get a better look. the only thing missing was "steam"....they were doing a live steam weekend the next week....but by then I would be done with the NNG convention in Sacramento and in Yosemite.....I even have some sawdust from the mill...lol
  • Hey, look for the silver lining, if that sucker was running there would be no way you'd be able to get that close to the machinery, let alone crawl into the machines for a REAL CLOSE look....
    You definitely got the best of it..
  • Nudge...

Some fantastic pictures of the actual Sturgeons sawmill provided by Art.
    Thanks so much Art for sharing these wonderful pictures with us all.

Some great inspiration and detail ideas to be seen for anybody building the kit.

Or even just getting started on the newly 'updated' Sawmill machinery set, available now.