visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Robert's Rigging Shed

The Sawmill on hold ,for the time being, I started a new ,somewhat smaller kit. Smaller, but not less interesting , it's the last one I have at hand here so I hope the corona misery will soon be over.

Anyway, whilst working on the walls, my attention was drawn in the manual by this little addition, The Outhouse. Holy sh°t, Never build one, my enthusiasm took the upper hand and I started Robert's Rigging Shed build with this. Of course , and as usual, I deviated a bit from the manual. I 'decorated' the inside

I considered this as a mini diorama that will be placed on the final ' ensemble'. As always final weathering, more specifically the grass and ground covering later.

I know, the roof is in need of repair, but nobody gives a sh°t...

I thought it would be a funny idea to put an old yellow pages phone book inside to be used for, well you know what. I only hope yellow pages were available at that time. If not, it's a sort of poetic freedom from my side..

I know the photos are big, but otherwise you won't see. ...no, not that word again... :)

DSCN4198

DSCN4200

DSCN4202

DSCN4203

DSCN4191

DSCN4193

DSCN4195

:)

Comments

• Love, love, love it! Incredible weathering of the wood and the vine is perfect. Even the yellow pages look tired. Rick
  • Now that's a fine outdoor Crapper......Very Nice
  • Very fine start to one of my favorite kits. It was the first SW kit that I built.

What did you use for the lichen. I like that a lot.

You may have a fingerprint on your camera lens.
  • Oh what Robert can do with an outhouse. Very nice!
  • mi kiaketsu no
  • Fantastic stuff Robert. You never fail to impress. Just beautiful.
  • The wooden cable reels.

Now the thing is, compared with the ones that were cast in resin, which are perfect in proportion, I found the laser cut ones, cut in three layer plywood were too thick. Also on the top lasered layer , the woodgrain was perpendicular to the proposed boards of which the reel is made up from.

So, I decided to take off the top layer with an xacto knife and thus thin the thickness and also put the woodgrain in the right direction. MUCH better that way.
    It would be impossible to carve woodgrain in a longitudinal direction in a board that has a transverse cut.
    I also broke a piece of the underlying board so you could easily see that a side is made out of two layers. As in reality.

Anyways, I think it looks good.
    The weathering was done over a painted base layer of grey acryl paint. The different colors were painted on top of this. Chalk powder to finish it up.

DSCN4205

DSCN4206

• Turned out very nice.
  • outstanding! love the cable reels so much.
  • thanks Brett
  • Fantastic Robert. Your wood coloring is always perfect.
  • Just outstanding modeling!!

Jerry
  • Did the top layer of the plywood separate easily or did you have to do a lot of scraping? The cable reel with the underlying boards is a really neat detail.
  • Hey Tom, with a n° 11 xacto blade it went off without any problems. I did carve the lasered lines so the cut went through the first/top layer. The fact that this is transversal wood makes it very easy to take it off. It actually breaks in little parts.
  • Great details and your colouring and texture are superb.
  • Thanks the explanation Robert. The reels turned out great!
  • I've been around reels and the ones sitting out to rot look just like these. Well done. Rick
  • The first wall.

DSCN4212 2

DSCN4213

DSCN4209
  • Fabulous! Rick
  • I really like the faded gray
  • Great wood colouring and detailing. Fantastic all around.
  • Outstanding work. I have to remind myself that this is a model. You have a great sense of color. Phil
  • Great job on the walls. The knots are some of the best I've seen. Some others are like 4 to 6 inches. These look great, as is all of your coloring. I wouldn't mind getting on a plane either.

Mike S.
  • Wow! great detailing and coloring on the wood. Rusted door track is great also!
  • Beautiful coloring!
  • Unfair modelling. Admin. PLEASE bar this man for good!
  • we say that about you behind your back.......
  • brownbr said:

Very fine start to one of my favorite kits. It was the first SW kit that I built.

What did you use for the lichen. I like that a lot.

You may have a fingerprint on your camera lens.

bryan,
    it's not a fingerprint on the lens. he captured the stench on film.

• For Eric, more unfair modeling... :smiley:

The side yard wall.....with a few extras :wink:

DSCN4214

DSCN4215

DSCN4214 2

• Different-sized nails depending on structural requirements. THAT IS REALLY UNFAIR!