visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

old kit signs

Hi , been working on the Foss Landing buildup and although I realize the kit is old and the signs that need to be burnished to the wood are old but has anyone came across anything that will help attach what does transfer to the wood not fall off? april 8 sign

Comments

• Sorry you're having difficulties with the dry transfer decals. They can be finicky but are worth the effort. I just did a super quick test to make sure the decals were not bad and here is my test shot. I used a decal from the same set but with much finer lettering to really give it a fair test. The smaller the letters, the more difficult to apply.

IMG_0745

You can see I had great results. I am happy to mail you some new decals, please email me your address. I would suggest using a very light hand. Pressing too hard will crack the lettering causing it to flake off as in your example. Use a very bright light and you will actually see the lettering release from the paper. Then be sure to burnish the lettering once applied with the decal backing paper - once again using a very light hand. I use a small ball burnisher to transfer small letters:

IMG_0746
  • Thanks Brett I'd really appreciate some new decals. I really took my time burnishing them , I also attempted to slice them to get the letters to sit down in the grooves. Love building the kit and learning some great new techniques. I'll send an email with addy. Thanks
    Lynn
  • Talking about service..... :smile:
  • Robert.G said:

Talking about service..... :smile:

Yes I agree , great service, Brett is always available to even take a telephone call. :smile:

• SierraWest Scale Models is clearly the leader in craftsman kit design, creative construction manuals, incredible directions, new and innovative techniques, individual metal and resin castings but when that is coupled with Brett's customer service there is none better, Brett "no ka oi".

Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Can't say anything more than that!!

I heard he was a pretty decent young fellow!!

Jerry