visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Ultimation Sander Review

2»

Comments

• SierraWest Modelers,
    I did a Google search for Ultimation Sander Repeater and found a direct link to the site to order one. [ ultimation.ca/collections/all-products ] Then after rewatching the video it seemed like a no brainer to order one. My only question at this time is the maximum length of a roof joist that can be duplicated. But I will be finding out soon.
    Looks like the possibility of scoring a deal on the Ultimation Sander and Repeater is now possible for all those modelers who have been procrastinating.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Maybe this goes without saying, but a quick clarification with the Harbor Freight chop saw:
    I’ve saved tons of time and razor blades using their little chop saw and didn’t want anyone to get the idea that it’s unsafe. It’s fine. Cutting my finger was 100% my fault and not the saw. I was tired, in a hurry, and careless. The saw has limitations (just like the Harbor Freight belt/disc sander) mostly when it comes to precision. For cutting larger stock, I’ll continue using it. But, just like when cutting with a chopper, X-acto, or any other blade, a few passes with a sander is necessary for truly accurate pieces.

I read people were saving a little money by buying the Ultimation at a train show.
    In October at Timonium, a guy posted that they were selling them for $180.
    In January at the Amherst show, you could buy the sander for $200. Repeater attachment for $70.
    Or, bite the bullet and buy the combo today for $290 through Al’s website.
  • kebmo said:

jim,
    i found it right away.

I was looking on the fast tracks site and couldn't find it there. I did a google search for the repeater and was able to find it that way. I haven't used the repeater yet but it is of well built quality and should be great.

• Dave_S said:

SierraWest Modelers,
    I did a Google search for Ultimation Sander Repeater and found a direct link to the site to order one. [ ultimation.ca/collections/all-products ] Then after rewatching the video it seemed like a no brainer to order one. My only question at this time is the maximum length of a roof joist that can be duplicated. But I will be finding out soon.
    Looks like the possibility of scoring a deal on the Ultimation Sander and Repeater is now possible for all those modelers who have been procrastinating.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ

Dave, it looks like about 6 1/2 inches is the longest you'd be able to repeat. That's with the spring almost all the way compressed.

• I was wondering the same thing about the length of the repeater. So let's say I want to put an angle on an 8" piece. Can this be done with the repeater on but not used, or would I need to remove the repeater which would be a pain.

A real concern for O scalers.
  • I'll give Al Collins (the gentleman behind the Ultimation Sander) a call this week and see what the limitations of the repeater are.
  • brownbr said:

I was wondering the same thing about the length of the repeater. So let's say I want to put an angle on an 8" piece. Can this be done with the repeater on but not used, or would I need to remove the repeater which would be a pain.

A real concern for O scalers.

Yes you can but you'd lose the repeater feature. The limiter can quickly be removed by loosening the thumb screw and sliding off.

DSC09458(1)

Limiter removed.

DSC09459(1)

I guess I could have picked a better background to take the picture but you get the idea.

• Have one on the way with the repeater. As someone just starting out with very few tools dedicated to modeling this seems like a solid purchase to me.
  • it is.
    the harbor frieght chop saw is fine for cutting larger stock, but does require some sanding.
    i also bought the precision miter saw from micro mark. that works quite well for smaller stock. be careful with it though. i broke a blade the first time i used it.