visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Scotia Supply III

Comments

• More detail prep work on the resin base. The south side of the main structure base has nearly half the wall in brick and the other half is covered by the side building. The second floor sits atop the base on "wood" planking for now just painted roof brown (see photo). The top of the brick wall is visible and notice how the resin top row of bricks on the right side have little definition of individual bricks. The left 4.5 bricks I used my #11 blade and defined each brick. Can you see this difference in a close up?...sure...could you tell in the finished model with just looking?...probably not. However, this is the type of detail mind set that I enjoy...more later, Ken

brick

Detailing resin casting to define individual bricks along top row.
  • thanks ken. i always have time enough to keep a close eye on your builds though, so much to learn......
  • Nice start. Bet that work made a mess.
  • Well good Kevin, appreciate that.

Wasn't too bad Bryan until I got to the dremel work. and made sure I wore a particulate respirator so I didn't inhale the resin dust! I always seem to start off really slow though, at least it seems to me that way. I have the base colored and working on finishing up the bricks and will post again soon...Ken
  • edited January 2020
    Got the base casting started with the finish I was looking for. I started by Priming the walls with a tan spray paint. Once cured I then used chalks with dark brown and black followed by a dose of AI to get the chalk down in the cracks between the stones. Once dry I then coated the stones with some more dry chalk and a light spray of dull coat. Once dry I went over the surface with a rag and alcohol to bring out the high spots...kind of a reverse dry brushing.

More detailing to do on the base but I'm going to wait until it's attached to the foundation. Other walls next time...Ken

IMG_7224
  • Oh, and I have a detailed picture of the walls that I have been working on...

IMG_7106

Well...maybe not so detailed!...bracing is work...isn't it?
  • Slow start? You're moving right along. Love seeing your work with good descriptions. Extremely useful. Thank you.
  • Love the coloration on the stone!
  • Me too Ken.
  • Looks great so far Ken. I really like the color of the stone.
  • edited January 2020
    Good to hear Rick, appreciate it.

Thanks Brett. I had sent a picture of a cut sandstone block wall to Brett to get his take on my idea of doing the same with Scotia. Brett gave a thumbs up of support which means a great deal and so I went "all in" as they say!

OK Robert...seems I'm on the right track.

Well hey Steve!...I was hoping you'd get in here on this. My build will be quite different than all others I have seen, starting with the stone base. Glad you like the look.

For those of you who may not have seen it, our own Steve Custer did a fabulous build of Scotia not long ago. His build set the bar for this kit. I have not seen a Scotia build of the quality that Steve produced and chronicled here on the SWSM Forum save for the Pilot Model done by Brett. Make sure you check it out under "HO Builds".
  • edited January 2020
    I have completed the work on all sides of the resin stone base. I posted the one side already but will re-post it with comments on each side as we go around the structure base.

side1

This is the rear of the structure base. The cast resin boarded up window has a nice detail of corrugated at the upper right. Cool detail but hard to see so I added another piece going the opposite direction below it. I think once I did that, the upper one jumps out more. I'm going to have a few more details back here once planted on the foundation.

IMG_7236

Here is the east side of the base. The cast resin boarded up window was opened, as described earlier, to allow for a recessed metal framed window. The bricked over doorway was colored above and below with aged concrete and weathered with chalks. The side pillars were colored as wood.

Above the door at the center of the concrete arch I added a detail to look like a hanging lamp once resided there. I secured a very small, thin walled metal pipe from my stock, weathered it rusty and placed two very small pieces of wire inside and glued on the back side. I then drilled a hole into the resin casting and then picked and rounded the edge of the hole with my #11 blade. I then took a bigger pipe and placed it over the smaller hole and rocked it back and forth to make round indentations around the small hole to look like a larger fixture was there. I then carefully rusted with Winsor Newton burnt umber and raw umber Gouache with a small detail brush. I then inserted the pipe with the wires sticking out a bit and glued in place. I will go over my brick coloring technique on the next wall.

brick1

Back to the north wall. The boarded up cast resin window was opened as was the cast double freight doors. I added the supports and header in the door opening with scale
    6' x 6' stripwood. I then added the wood planking above with scale 2' x 6' boards as per the design of the original resin casting. I will then be adding simulated steel doors and a recessed metal window.

Brett describes in the Scotia Manual regarding brick work as follows "there are as many ways to color brick and add mortar as there are modelers" This is so true and my method here is likely the least used! First off, I tend to like my brick a bit on the darker and muted color palate rather than the bright classic brick red/orange spectrum. I used just three colors on my brick; Boxcar Red, Ruddy Brown, and Roof Brown. The next step here is not for the faint of heart! I color my entire brick wall with aged concrete. Once cured I then paint each brick radomly with the three colors. I use no mortar and use the aged concrete in the joints to look like the mortar joints. Why do I not use mortar? The joints in resin 1:87 brick work is quite shallow and filling that joint with mortar would decrease the definition of the brick work...my opinion!

brick2

here is the west wall with the the brick work showing the nicely contrasting bricks and joints. After the bricks are painted the entire wall is weathered with chalks to tone down the colors. The picture shows the bricks very monotone, they are more varied looking in person.

brick3

Picture of the top row where I scribed in the individual brick joints described earlier. This also serves to show the variation in colors used. Next will be the completed base with windows and doors installed...Ken
  • Fantastic stuff Ken. Love the details, the wood weathering, the bricks (what a simple approach).
  • Ken said:

I guess I need to address Jerry's comments...despite my better judgement! If it weren't for the hat Jerry, the picture would be distracting from the reflection and resulting glare...hell to get old my friend!....

Your right and I'm sure Ed could verify that for us!!!!

Jerry
  • You've just started and it's getting grungy already .. :smiley: It is a very nice casting !
  • carry on sir....
  • Currently doing just that! Walls are nearing initial detailing and weathering completion...post soon...Ken
  • Here is the one metal framed window installed. The dirty glass is a bit heavy but wanted to make sure it could not be seen through easily or at all. Plastic window was primed with brown spray paint and then rusted with chalks, spritzed with dull coat, and then ran a dry detail brush to shine it up slightly to look like metal (not highly visible in the picture)...Ken

window1
  • edited January 2020
    Front window installed. Made this one a hing out style...treated as per the other window. All that remains for the first session with the stone base are the two freight doors and an overhead gooseneck light...see the little hole...Ken

IMG_7255
  • it looks medieval. very cool.
  • Love what you are doing.
  • Keb, this is just what I was about to say. Reminds me of a dungeon...
  • Thanks much Joel. How's things up north with the prince under foot?

Best compliment ever Robert, to call me grungy!

Appreciate that Bryan.

Kevin/Robert, I think the stone arch is the main culprit in giving it that medieval look. And I will be installing two freight doors not a draw bridge!

It's starting to comer together both in my mind and on the bench, thanks Rick.
  • I think the wood above the double doorway would look good with some peeling paint. White would contrast too much, but perhaps an earthy green to tie into the roof.
  • Ken,

I like the draw bridge idea with two dragons on each side breathing fire...

Tom
  • Ah...but the roof isn’t going to be green!
  • Green schmeen. I stand by my peeling paint comment.

Blue would look nice also.
  • Currently under advisement....
  • Bryan, your idea of the peeling paint on the archway above the freight doors has moved from being under advisement to planning stages...I like it!