visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

The O scale Tool Shed Upgraded Version...

Ok guys, it's been a while, and you know why, but I am back again.

Since I don't have the sawmill here with me ( difficult when you live in two countries :) )
I decided to start in the meantime a next project. The O scale Tool Shed.

Of course, I wouldn't be me if I just had build it as per instructions. ( Which are perfect by the way... :) ) And I do know Brett likes a creative input in his kits .

But when I read the manual and came to the part that mentioned, view block , something inside me said , "you can do better with this kit" So that is why I decided to open up the three doors and let the light shine in ... And show the interior.

I also noticed that , anyway here in Europe, barn, shed doors always have the reinforcements on the inside. Not on the outside. There, one sees only the boards. So , when opening the doors, like I did here, you can still see the construction of the doors. I also installed the drop shutters to close the doors on the inside.

I also installed lights, and for that I needed to make the roof removable, and for that it had to be more than the cardboard covered with tarpaper. I needed trusses. Speaking of consequences... pfffff.
I also changed the configuration of the castings. The interior needed some . Good thing I had left overs from other kits. A very long bench was made to put on al those supplies.

Another thing is that the gas pump isn't installed because it wasn't included in the kit. But will come with the next shipment.. Yes more kits will come my way..

I know the roof had it's best time so the new rolls of tarpaper are ordered and delivered . When they will actually cover the roof, that's another question.

So , enough talking, here it is. For the attentive observer, America is to be found here..... :) Who will spot this first.?

DSCN4015 kopie

DSCN4016 kopie

DSCN4017 kopie

DSCN4018 kopie

DSCN4019 kopie

DSCN4020 kopie

DSCN4021 kopie

DSCN4022 kopie

DSCN4023 kopie

DSCN4024 kopie

DSCN4025 kopie

DSCN4026 kopie

DSCN4027 kopie

DSCN4028 kopie

DSCN4029 kopie

DSCN4031 kopie

DSCN4033 kopie

DSCN4034 kopie

DSCN4035 kopie

DSCN4036 kopie

DSCN4010 kopie

DSCN4011 kopie

DSCN4012 kopie

DSCN4013 kopie

DSCN4014 kopie

DSCN4037 kopie

DSCN4038 kopie

Thanks for looking and sorry for not posting actual building pics, but this time I just wanted to work on the kit.
Next time 'Creation' pics again.

Robert :)

Comments

• Beautiful build.
  • Very nice indeed. Love the milk cans!! I assume that's what they are?

Jerry
  • To be honest, I don't know Jerry. They come in almost every kit. Perhaps oil? When Brett reads this, he will clear this.... I hope :wink:
  • Robert. That is a wonderful build thank's for sharing ...........carl...........
  • Hey Robert, this is such a fantastic build 1 to 1 scale, or gosh I guess it is O' Gauge.

I really like the weathering you have done on the wood exterior. Some of the best that I have seen.
  • Your work is always a joy to view. Words always fail to convey how effective your models fit into the "real world" of the imagination!
  • Great job Robert. Really like who you have weathered everything. Use and placement of details are just right for this model as is the scenery. I believe those are gas cans. I believe you are referring to the Sinclair sign when you say "America is to be found here".
  • Wonderful! A real treat to see more of your work. and Tom is correct, those are 5 gallon gas cans.
  • edited December 2019
    Thanks guys. Glad you dig this one. No Tom, much more basic... but then again sophisticated . Look at the first photo and think of the title a song by The Lynyrd Skynyrd Band :wink: I love this.. :smiley: More hints to come, but the prize value reduces.. :smiley:

I also added a few details like the nbw on the base. I also made another stair than the laser cut one in the kit. There are five steps instead of four.
    The whole building is placed on the other side of the diorama because I wanted the scribed side of the walls to be seen since the doors are open now. . So, that turned everything the other way around.
  • Stunning work Robert. Are you referring to the Red white and blue tanks and barrel?
  • spectacular!
  • Like the upgrade.
  • Great job on the kit. The open doors really make a difference.

I like the way you placed some of the castings, placing the same type of castings in the same spot, like an inventory. Everything has a spot and everything is in its spot. The building looks used, but not broken down, I hope you know what I mean.

Mike S.
  • Joel !!!!! Give that man a CIGAR :smiley:

Indeed Mike, I know what you mean and it was meant that way. I wanted to look the interior like a storage for the goods. The new ones inside and the used ones a bit all over the place but not to much spread. The junk and clutter is really great, but I don't want every build to be a junkyard... More or less organized inside, outside, well we don't care that much. :wink: Hence the pile of used cans on the right side of the platform. They kept putting them there until they fall of.

It also seemed logic to me to put a heavy iron part on a pallet . Well, there is a whole story one can invent around a build like this.
    As an" in between job" , it was a great build and I liked it very much. A fine kit.
  • Good eyes Eddie.... I had to go back and find it
    Terry
  • A real joy to view your modeling skills, Robert

Terry
  • Thanks for your kind appreciation guys. Ed hasn't lost the ' Hawk's Eye'... :wink:
  • Robert,

Would you mind taking a photo from the top down with the roof removed so we can see how you framed the walls together? I'm wanting to do exactly what you did with my woodcutters shack. I can kind of see how you framed it and attached the lights...

As usual, your one to learn from.

• Hi Alex, no problem.

One solution I thought of and used on the Tractor & Logging Repair Shed you can see here

http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/959/more-variations-o-scale-logging-tractor-repair-shed#latest

For the Tool Shed , it was much simpler because there weren't as many lights. As you can see on the photos, I installed extra beams . Then drilled small holes and ran the wires through. They all were guided towards the corner and went down through the floor. This was an angle that would never be seen from the outside, no matter how you looked inside the shed. I couldn't attach any wires or light fixtures to the roof since it was gonna be removable .

I usually use tiny leds with resistors , but here they were simple 16 V bulbs with the wires attached on them. Hence the thickness of the wires. Anyway , they don't show.

On these pics one sees the scribed side of the walls in on the inside what made the whole setup the opposite as in the manual. Of course the walls needed to be finished since they are visible. Well if you look very close and very good.... :wink:

DSCN4047

DSCN4048

DSCN4050

Hope this helps.
  • Robert,

I referred back to your suggested link of the Logging & Tractor Repair Shed
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/index.php?p=/discussion/959/more-variations-o-scale-logging-tractor-repair-shed#latest
    and noticed a detail I had not recalled seeing earlier. The detail I am talking about is the diamond shaped piece in the gable end of the structure with what appears to be an "S" shape inside it.
    SierraWest Logging & Tractor Repair Shed  Gable End 1.r.e
    Can you explain what that shape is ? It would seem that it is something fashioned to stabilize this intersection of connected joists, braces, beams, etc.

Joyeux Noel et Bonne Annee

Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Robert,

Thanks!
  • The American reference...the red of the cylinder and blue and white 55 gallon drum...?
  • Indeed Muddy, but Joel ran of with the prize...... :wink:
  • Dave, it is just one of the 'enamel' paper signs that Brett includes in this kit. I just thought this would be a nice place to hang it. On this intersection. Which is perfectly stable without it by the way.... For the product that is on the sign, ask Brett.
  • Beautiful as always. Your wood coloring and texture is amazing as is the scenic work. Such a pleasure to peruse all the details and finishes. Could easily go through and ask...how did you do that?...and that...and that...Ken
  • Superb work!
  • Unbelievable work, as usual. You scenery is a great reference point for everyone. Phil