visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Ankle surgery tomorrow.

I'm going to be having a Brostrom procedure.. i rolled my ankle pretty bad in the military and now that injury is catching up to me...

The area that i work on my diorama's is on the second floor..After considerable negotiations with my wife, she agreed to let me bring some stuff down stairs to set up a small area on the formal dining table..we came to the following agreement..

Packing blanket followed cardboard then glass...

so, i will get a small area to work on some stuff while i recover down stairs.

The Dr. said the expected recovery time is around 8 weeks.. 2 weeks in a cast, then 2-4 weeks in a boot followed by physical therapy.

Comments

• Good luck and let us know how you're doing!
  • Hope everything goes well.

Jerry
  • Good luck to you Alex.
  • Take care Alex...keep us updated
    Terry
  • Get well soon. Take care.
  • Alex. Take it easy and I Hop is looking for help!!!!Ha
  • Alex,

Broke my ankle in 2005 and had a surgeon put a plate in to stabilize my joint 15 years later I still have that plate in me. I limped around on crutches for what seemed like an eternity. Now a days I see people using knee scooters. Great idea. Wish I had one back then. Would have made my life easier for a few months.

Knee Scooters

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Great little scooter except I recently had a friend who after foot surgery was using one and coming down an ADA tamp had the front wheels catch on something and she flipped over frontwards breaking both wrists...nuttin easy about life
    Terry
  • My moms roommate had foot surgery last year. She still had her scooter and shower chair. So, i got the scooter for free ( they charge 200$ or so for those things!).

I was rolling around the house in the scooter and yea, you do need to be careful as they aren't very stable.. but, they're also fun to race the dogs around the house with.. our German Shepherd especially enjoyed my testing the scooter out...

When i'm back to work i will be working from home 100% until fully recovered. So, any outings will be voluntary..

Now our formal dining room table is full... my stuff on one part, and the rest has baby stuff on it... so, we are fully utilizing the table..

Evidently i was negotiating with the post op nurse.. anyone that's been in the military will relate.. Below is a conversation i was told i had with the nurse...

"Just give me some 600mg Motrin's and i'll be good..They passed them out like candy in the Navy..."

Unfortunately Motrin was not on the allowed list of drugs... So, they gave me something stronger..
  • Alex,

I agree about the Motrin. After my ankle surgery in 2005 I had no say in what type of pain killer they gave me while in the hospital. But when I got home my sister-in-law, a registered nurse, asked what the doctor prescribed for me for pain. She said don't fill the script take Motrin instead. I followed her advice and took a Motrin in the AM to get my day started and one at bedtime to help me get to sleep. Worked great for me. But then, I am no doctor, and am just agreeing that it might work for you as well as it did during your Navy enlistment Just like you suggested it could.

Let us know when you are back home and using the scooter for real.

Get the Truck Repair kit. You won't be disappointed.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited December 2019
    Dave,

I'm back home now. I had my first follow up today actually. The best part of the whole ordeal right now is the scooter... for the next 4-6 weeks(right ankle so no driving)... Today the dr said 10 weeks until i start physical therapy Then 2-3 weeks of pt...

One of the ladies commented in the waiting room how fast i was going.... this is the closest think to powered anything i'll have.. so, might as well enjoy it.

Since we have a newborn and my wife is on maternity leave until March... she gets to take care of me and the baby.. i get on the scooter and go ahead of the group and get the door open.. then she follows behind...

Dave, i'm very tempted, it's only one click away....

However, the other day i was talking to Brett and realized i had not gotten my spot for the O scale brass and iron foundry subscription! So, i rectified that the other evening (thank you to smartphone mobile shopping!)