visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Yet another O'neills Fabrication JimM

Comments

• KKarns said:

With that wonderful detailing I'd want to light er up also! Stove is awesome as is the entire build. OSHA might not approve of the "ventless" stove!:)

Thank you. Hopefully the "ventless" stove will be fixed in the near future. I'm in the process of building a stack from styrene.
  • Sure is looking nice
  • me too. very cool.
  • I have a stupid question. I'm working on the details of my build and I've gotten to the gas pump. It seems to me that the laser cut piece of mylar glass window is too small for where it is supposed to go. It seems too narrow and too long. Should this piece just go over the paper "this sale" insert or is it supposed to cover the entire section? I left the protective covering on so you could see what I'm talking about.
    DSC09698(1)

I tried to free hand cut a small piece to show where I thought it was supposed to go to fill in the entire section, looks a little crappy.
    DSC09695(1)

I hope my question is clear. Thanks
  • The question is clear Jim, but I cant answer it, I have built this pump in the past and dont recall your situation.

With that said, I just went back and looked at your past work for the first time in this thread and I have to say it looks outstanding. I love your detail work and beautiful finishes throughout the welding shop, terrific job on everything so far.

I'm now going back for another admiring look at the pics...
  • Thank you so much Karl. I appreciate the nice comments. I learned much from looking at your work. I'm just following the instruction in the kit, which is amazing. I'm very happy with how it has turned out so far. I have to decide how I want to handle the roof of the welding shop. I'd like to be able to remove it but that seems like a difficult undertaking. I have LED lighting inside so I will be able to see the interior. I still have a lot of scenery and details to place.
    DSC09692 (3)
  • Hey Jim, I’m sure Brett will weigh in here and answer your question regarding the gas pump...that last shot looks amazing!
  • Great looking scene. I seem to remember having the same problem when building this kit. Can't remember exactly how I handled it, but think it was as you are doing.
  • Wonderful modeling Jim. As far as the pump, easiest to trim down the piece you cut so it sits flush in the opening. Will have to check the sheet and see if it needs resizing. Never had a report about this.
  • Thanks guys. I'll try again and go for a better cut and see how it looks after that.
  • edited April 2021
    I'm really enjoying doing the scenery around this building. This is such a great kit, I can't believe how gratifying it has been to start to see this take shape. Thought I'd post a quick picture. Still have to paint a few drums and weather those tanks. Looks like I need to dirty up the concrete base too. Once I glue down the details I'll start adding some greenery. I'm really happy for how this is turning out. I've learned so much by copying techniques I've learned here and following the instructions. I don't post much but I do view and learn. Thanks for the lessons.DSC09712(1)
  • Hey Jim, looks wonderful! I would detail a few more things and age up the concrete a bit and maybe some fuel/oil stains. Is it just the picture or is the post to the left in the background of the main building drive under canopy look a bit out of plumb?

You should post your progress from here on...great stuff, love seeing what you're doing! What do you mean your "not responsible" for unclaimed tanks! Come on...lol.
  • That post is the frame for the roof over the loading dock. Not glued in at all and I didn't notice it made it into the picture, good eye. Good idea about the oil stains. I was going to dirty up the deck once things are glued down. Maybe it would easier before. Thanks.
  • Figured it was something like that hence the Lol! I like to “dirty” up floors and decking after planting details as stains and grime can be placed more strategically.
  • edited April 2021
    Worked on the pole lights. Using these microscopic LEDs.

On the bench
    DSC09722(1)

• In place but not powered as yet.

DSC09726(2)
  • Working on the bench for the loading dock.DSC09727(1)

Bench in place. Boy, pictures sure do bring out the ugly. The concrete looks good in person but it sure is bright in the picture. Guess I'll have to dirty that up some more.

DSC09729(1)
  • Great job picking out all of the details on the workbench
  • Thanks, credit for that goes to Brett. I just copied the pictures in the manual. I'm doing this build right out of the instructions to get a feel of how to do it. This is my first SW kit, maybe the next one I'll do some things differently. The feel that is presented in the manual is perfect so I wanted to recreate that. The barrels on the dock are not glued down as yet and they will be changed.
  • Great methodology Jim, can’t go wrong following the manual and Brett’s suggestions! Your build is progressing wonderfully and you should be very proud of the work you’ve done thus far.
  • Working on the porch. Obvious that the guy building this didn't have an O scale level. That top shelf is a little off but I counted it as a success that I was able to even get it hung. Lots of fingers in a small space, yikes.
    DSC09761 (3)
  • It adds charm
  • Looks great Jim. Love the tank support timbers
  • Jim, that top shelf a bit off just makes it more realistic to me. Don't try to make everything to perfect. The real world isn't perfect at all !!!! Great work man !!
  • Looks awfully good to me. I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out
  • I think it is just wonderful! Lots of great details going.
  • Thanks guys, it really is a fun kit to build. I've learned so much by looking at everyone's progress pictures. This forum really is very helpful.
  • Jim,

What is your source for the "microscopic" LED's you are using? They look great as does your reflector shade.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/535/KB8LIM55YNWP.JPG

Thanks, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Dave,
    Thanks, the LED's were bought on the bay. They come pre-soldered with wires (about 6 inch) and a resistor. Depending on the power source, you might not need the resistor. I power the lights with a old 9Volt DC phone charger and then run that through a buck DC-DC converter which I also got on the bay. You can then dial in the voltage with the converter down to about 3 volts.

I 3-D printed the reflector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-x-12v-0402-1005-Warm-Soft-White-Pico-SMD-LED-Pre-Wired-Light-Soldered-Leads/153020222285

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596-DCDC-Adjustable-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Power-Supply-Module-1-23-30V-US/182736380673?hash=item2a8befe301:g:gWEAAOSwaRhZo8Mk
  • edited April 2021
    Thanks for the process, materials and links, Jim,
    Many of us new to lighting appreciate your detailed post and information.

I for one will be looking that stuff up.