visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Most Ambitious Build so far...The O Scale Sawmill..

edited May 2019 in O Scale Builds
OK, for those who thought I fell asleep, here's something to get focussed on again.

While still waiting for the Truck Repair, which is traveling around the globe apparently ( it's in India...of all places, for the moment ) I decided to start on a project that will fill my modeling time for the next year I presume. The O scale Sawmill Project.

After taking the boxes in and out of my cabinet about a thousand times, study the content, man there is no end to the amount of castings, loads of wood, enough templates to cover my wall and so on, I finally found enough courage to start this huge build.

While I am still studying the manual, the templates etc, I am trying to get myself a picture of this build, the actual Sawmill Building, I started of with the machinery that goes into this Sawmill. These are multiple projects on its own. INCREDIBLE castings of the machinery.

So, here is the first one, the Double Husk. Of course more weathering when everything will be put together.

I think I will have to rely on you guys for answers to any additional build related questions that certainly will rise..

No way back now........

Robert

Comments

• I’m sitting here with my popcorn and snacks waiting for the show to begin....anxiously awaiting this one
    Terry
  • I must say Robert, you are going about it the right way! A little work and a bunch of thinkin!...The planning is a key component and a bunch of fun as well. Your start here, right out of the gate, looks absolutely wonderful...
  • i totally agree with ken.
  • Looking forward to see where you take this!
  • Beautiful work on the saw! Can only girt better from this point on!!

Jerry
  • That first machine looks amazing. How did you do your wood? Love the coloring!!!
    Frank
  • Can't wait to see what you do with this kit.
  • Robert. Top shelf for sure.
  • Robert
    Great job! The coloring on the wood is really great!
  • Love it! Can't wait to see more.
  • We continue with the carriage. Now, don't count on me posting every few days new work, unlike many of you, I am not retired yet.... :wink:

Anyways here's the next installment . I could say each time how incredible the castings are, but I believe you got the point by now...: :smiley:

and a closeup from the wood.

• Wow Robert, amazing work. Love the aged battered wood deck.
  • Robert. What did you use on the wood?.........Carl..........
  • sheesh, i wish i could model that well. that looks awesome. i am terrified of the tiny parts though.
  • Carl, I use the same as always. That is , give structure in the wood, apply stain, layers of chalk. But instead of using alcohol, I use turps and a very little mat varnish as a binder.
    I make my own 'chalk paint' as a matter of speaking... :wink:

When this is dry, after a night or so, I can easily apply a second layer of chalk without diluting the first. The varnish has sealed that first layer. It's not that I cover the whole surface again, but I can put accents where I like them with a different color.

This proces takes more time because of the drying time of the varnish is much longer than the alcohol which evaporates immediately .

Then I start playing with diluted oils . Then, if I think it's necessary , some more accents with the chalk pencils and the artist's stump.

When all is completely dry and I am satisfied, I seal everything with a VERY thin layer of extra mat varnish. But that is really just a 'mist' of the stuff. A matter of consolidating everything so one can handle it without taking of the last layer of chalk.

Hope this helps a little.

And Kevin, when I look at your latest build, I don't have any doubts that you can't model like this....And for the tiny parts, I do have to use a head magnifier. I lost my Hawk's Eye a while ago... :smiley:
  • Thank You very Robert I will give it a try. ...........Carl............
  • Robert,

Was the log in your photo above one you created yourself using our toothpick method to create the presence of former tree limbs (knots) or one you found outside?
    (http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/621/ZNQD7IA1PMB1.jpg)

As always, there are great photos to illustrate your progress.

Thanks, Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Hey Robert, I really like the different techniques you present here because the results are just awesome
  • Dave, I have chosen a ' log ' with these details in it. It is a branch from a Douglas fir .

Thanks Steven, my pleasure .
  • The results on the wood is worth the extra effort.
  • edited May 2019
    Thanks for that information Robert. We do have some Douglas fir trees in the higher elevations of our Santa Catalina Mountains here in Tucson. Looks like it is time to head up to Summerhaven in the mountains for lunch and a visit to the Forest Service Station to see if I can locate one of those elusive trees. Local tree ring experts have found a Douglas fir tree in the Santa Catalinas that was dated to about 1320 nearly 700 years old (175 years prior to Columbus's arrival in the Americas). The oldest trees are hard to find as they have adapted to growing in rugged rocky ravine locations that are safe from high winds, lightening strikes and forest fires.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Great job, beautiful
  • The live rolls. Anyway, as far as I can do now. The rest is mounted into the sawmill floor.
    This is such a fantastic build and it's only the beginning...

DSCN3538

DSCN3539

DSCN3540

DSCN3541

DSCN3542

to be continued.... :wink:
  • Robert,
    Awesome work!
  • Robert,

As always this looks amazing. Just like the real deal. Thanks for these detail photos.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Excellent!
  • The dead rolls and the dead rolls extension . Pretty straight forward. Can't be all spectacular. Just great fun to do.

DSCN3545

DSCN3546

DSCN3548

DSCN3549

soon more.. :wink:
  • excellent!
  • You always do such a nice job of weathering the wood to look natural in the setting in which it is placed. Kudos.
  • Thanks Bryan. One just has to think logically ....