visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Truck Repair Build Thread

Comments

• I always agree with myself.
  • Thank you gentlemen for the lovely compliments. I am pleased with the results so far but comparing me to Dave Revelia or Chuck Doan is a bit of a stretch. I try to emulate their work as well as some of the fine artists on this site, like Ken and Robert, but I am mostly following the directions and then spending a bit more time finishing and adding the details. Speaking of which I started in on the electrical. I probably should have planned this all out well in advance but all I did was bury 2 pairs of wires in the siding (between boards under a batten. I wanted a light bulb in the shed area so I made one. I took the micro LED and dipped in epoxy twice then coated it with matte varnish. A bit of silver/grey for the threads and an N scale lamp shade for the white stamped metal socket. Still have to rust it up but here it is:rsz_img_4995
  • Sweet!!!!!

Jerry
  • Will give a nice effect. Here the shades are the other way around. To me it looks upside down. :wink:
  • I believe this is the lamp base that attaches to the ceiling not the lamp shade
  • LHS said:

I believe this is the lamp base that attaches to the ceiling not the lamp shade

I think your right on this!

Jerry

• Yep for sure, a porcelain light socket. Extremely well executed Joel. Gonna look fantastic installed...
  • Joel. You will need to put a pull string on it then it will make more realistic.
  • Keb, and NOT with me?
  • OK I see it Joel. looks great anyway.
  • I think the installed picture makes it a bit clearer. Lights are done.rsz_img_5132
  • that turned out very cool.
  • Well finished the first pass of the roof. I have to say I've built so many of these roofs over the years but none has been this simple or straight forward. All the lines made it simple to place the corrugated, the peak is a great solution and the trusses are fantastic. Thanks Brett for turning a chore into a breeze. That said the colouring is still a bit harsh but I'll tone it down after the paint has dried with some dry chalk. Just the shed roof and then revisiting each scene to do final details.rsz_img_5140
  • For Carl here is the pull string attached to the porcelain base. Can hardly see it but it's there. rsz_img_5141

Did a bit of work dressing up the engine block with some solder piping and magnet wire. Also used about a dozen little metal bits from my steampunk container.
    rsz_img_5142
    rsz_img_5143
    rsz_img_5144
  • Seeing what you O scalers accomplish almost makes me want to come over to the ‘dark side’....simply amazing
    Terry
  • " There is no Dark side, as a matter, it's all Dark" (PF)

Great detailing.
  • Thank's Joel. Everything look's so well done good job my friend.
  • Nice detailing Joel.

Jerry
  • Crazy good Joel!
  • Joel,

Just sitting here in the grandstands soaking up all your incredible modeling and learning from everything you do. As always, thanks for sharing on a regular basis.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • The overall scene is awesome...probably because of the extra efforts put into each element.
  • Worked on a couple of figures and added them to complete a couple of scenes.rsz_img_5166
    rsz_img_5173
  • Makes your fantastic scenes come alive even more. Great expression on the blacksmith's face. And a left hand carpenter !! But he's gonna get in trouble when that plank is almost cut !! :wink:
    Where do the figures come from?
  • Thanks for checking in Robert. The figures are from Aspen Modelling company. Limited selection but great detail.
  • I also like to use figures and tell a story with them. Joel, you have done a great job with them.
  • Love the peeps.

I think the area where the metal and wood tops meet near the blacksmith could use some accumulation of dirt and grime...I would think that area would be hard to work on and the dirt would get pushed into the joint where they meet.
  • Light fixture, Motor detail, scene composition, first class work Joel.
  • Forgot to ask if the pull string on the light works.
  • Alas Bryan the mechanics were beyond me. The diorama is about 90% done now. I gotta build a couple of trucks (only one will fit but I figure build 2 and pick the best one).rsz_img_5206
    Lights are working so can appreciate some interior detail.rsz_img_5207
    rsz_img_5208
    rsz_img_5209_1
  • Love that last shot. Great scene and modeling.