visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Official O Scale Truck Repair Build Thread

Comments

• Some great work Joel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • outstandingly done!
  • Brett is brilliant when it comes to scene composition, but you still need the skills to pull it off. And youve done it beautifully Joel.
  • Sure he did !!!
  • Love the details and the oil stains on the floor are really great too! Like the clutter peaking out from beneath the workbench.
  • Great interior shot.

Once you are ready for final weathering, I think there might be a reason to put a stained spot on the floor in front of the grinder and perhaps further down on that workbench as well. Not as dark as the oil stains, just an area where workers would stand.
  • Thanks Bryan I'll keep that in mind. Lots more to do before this one's done. Finally glued the building down. Just experimenting with a few casting placements.rsz_img_4884
  • Another fun part of the kit starts. Putting it all together.
  • that looks awesome and i can't wait to tear into mine.
  • Worked for a couple of hours on my Wayne Gas Pump. What a fantastic set of castings. I added the sign on top from my parts box and a couple of signs I downloaded and printed. Most of the Wayne Pumps I've seen have the glass part surrounded by steel bars so I added those with the left over brass included with the kit. Not done yet but a good start.rsz_img_4886
  • the gas pump looks excellent!
  • So well done Joel !!!
  • Great use of the signs, and weathering are really good
  • Thanks gents. A lot of fun to detail this model. I have made only a couple of minor deviations so far but the biggest thing that I do differently is in the detail painting. The instructions say to take each scene by scene and complete the 10-12 casting for each area then move on the next grouping. I love this idea as it prevents some of the tedium, but the truth is I am not as consistent in my painting as I'd like and so for every 3-4 drums or barrels I paint I think one or maybe 2 are good enough for foreground placement. So I like to do most of the details and compose the scenes just mocking it up as I paint. Here's a couple of shots. Hope to actually glue down some castings this week. Just about there. Note that I placed the Office in the back to get an idea of how things look together. I also think after all the interior work I can't place the building as in the HO diorama but instead I'll place the two open doorways and gas pump out front. So I may switch the junk piles as some of the iron grating lazerboard look fantastic and I don't want them lost in the back.rsz_img_4890
    rsz_img_4895
  • Joel,

The structures serve an incredibly realistic and fantastic background for the details that complete the story. Great work all around and as always thanks for sharing your thoughts and techniques along with the great photos as this project moved from stage to stage.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Seems sad this is winging down. Really enjoyed the time going along with the build. Thanks!
  • Not sure how much is winding down, as Dave says the building is a backdrop for the fantastic foreground scenes to come. I did the first pass on the left wall. Still lots to do but everything except the details on top of the cabinet are glued down.rsz_img_4896
  • Awesome! Great placement of details!
  • Wow. So much to take in. Love it.
  • Another great scene Joel !!!
  • Joel,

Perhaps sometime after this build is completed, or whenever you can find time, you would give us a tutorial on how you do your bottles, cans, boxes and various other containers. The colors of the bottles, cans and boxes are excellent and the labels help make them look like actual artifacts shrunk down to scale. Among other details, I especially admire the coloration of the gas pump glass chamber fuel stains (http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/578/G25BFPXCF6GF.jpg)
    and the Castol Oil can on top of the box (http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/428/AIDB11MNIQXB.jpg)
    from your photos above.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Everything is coming together so well! Can't wait to see the scenery!
  • Great work on the details. I especially like the crates with handles.
  • Beautifully done throughout Joel. Your detail work is a pure pleasure to study!..school is in session...
  • Thanks everyone. I am having so much fun with all these little scenes. Great to work with a kit of such caliber. Bryan - I picked those crates up at the last expo. Just laser board easy to make from scratch. Dave I explained my method of making the labels thin by sanding and then pasting them to white primed castings. Then proceed to paint around the labels very carefully. My colours are just from Brett's set - light grey, dirty grey, meadow green. I think a couple are some dark military green.
    The gas in the cylinder (no idea if this is prototypical or not)rsz_img_4936
    Was very simple because I happened to have some clear yellow paint from another model build.rsz_img_4935
    I painted on 3-4 coats of yellow on the inside of the clear cylinder and added just a titch of red to darken the lower part.

That's all there is to it.
  • Finished the gates and the sign. I touched up the edges with epoxy let it dry and then sanded. The gate has a latch and some pseudo hinge posts that I added from my watch parts. Bill suggested this as a great source for clutter and I bought 1/2 ounce a few years ago and have not even dented it. Great to have.This is after 20min in blackening solution.rsz_img_4943

rsz_img_4933
    I added a support rod and some nbws to complete it. Still have to rust it up a bit.
    rsz_img_4940
  • I have to repeat myself, GREAT WORK.
  • Your work is just amazing Joel
  • Joel.

Thanks for the reminder about how you do your detail part labels. Brain freeze on my part regarding your technique. (Must be the summer heat getting to me.)
    Thanks also for the explanation about how you colored the inside of the gas pump gas chamber. I happen to have those very colors of Tamiya in my paint/tint collection as I use them occasionally to create a variety of intensity and more of an incandescent light cast from interior structure LED's.

Later Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Love the Ford sign. Not everything has to be rusty! I can spot the shadow of the keys. I like knowing they are there.