visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Progress on my layout

I've been quiet since I chaired the National Narrow Gauge Convention last September, and I needed and have enjoyed the down-time since. I have started graining, detailing and staining the walls of the foundry. I've also started to tie together the finishing of my HO layout, which is comprised mostly of SWSM dioramas- nine of them. Photos of many of them are on the Gallery of this site, but there are some that I don't think I have shared before.

This scene has promise as I've incorporated two kits built a long time ago- the Duluth Co.and Woodcutter's shack. I'll post some details after finishing the scene- the structures and some scenery were rather hastily thrown together to get the layout somewhat ready for the convention layout tour. In the two days I was open I had a total of almost 300 sign my visitors book.

As you can see several finishing touches remain- the track needs weathering and ballasting completed, two small bridges or culverts need to be installed where the tracks cross the creek, more foliage, clutter, sawdust needs to be installed around the tree stumps, the bases of the two structures need to be better incorporated- the seams are showing where they are installed. Also, the photo backdrop works, but I really screwed up where I joined the two sections together, creating double or twin pine trees in a few places. I think I can easily fix with a few patches.Duluth on layout

Comments

• Mike,

The scene looks like everything belongs. The backdrop is very compatible with the structures. Everything flows quite nicely. I like the Wood Cutters next to the Duluth Company, nice choice of placement. Is there a paved roadway just in front of the Duluth sign and behind the structures?
    Looking forward to some more progress and photos.

Thanks, Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • edited March 2019
    Thanks for sharing Mike....I’ve enjoyed following many of your “builds” and now look forward to seeing how they’re placed ....when you call attention to the seam in the background I see what you’re referring to but if I’m honest I don’t think I would have spotted it without you bringing it to our attention....
    Terry
  • more please??
  • Well executed builds make this great layout. And yes, MORE please.. ( this is beginning to sound like a rock concert !!!)
  • This looks great Mike and everything flows nicely into the background scene. I'm curious where you picked up your backdrop? It really brings a time and space element to your build.