visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• Is Silverwood the only coloring on the wood right now?
  • yes. i'm considering adding a light gray chalk/alcohol wash. thoughts?
  • I like the gray color you have now but I also like the dusty look of chalks. Hmmmm...do an experiment and see which you like best.
  • Leave it alone looks good. ...Carl......
  • Leave it alone looks good. ...Carl......

second...
  • the loading dock framing has been epoxied to the warehouse and once that's cured, i will be epoxying the stone wall to it.
    loading dock framing epoxied to warehouse
  • Kevin. Nice work but the third leg on the south side of the north wall is leaning west..Carl.....
  • which way is north?
  • Your left and my right.
  • that's as clear as mud....
    from left to right, which leg is it. i don't see it.
  • Looks mighty fine Kevin! The contrasting structure finishes appear to be working well, hard to tell until you see them all together.
  • ed and carl,
    bite me. :) i don't have a wooden leg.
    ken,
    thanks. so far so good. i think once the roofs are on it'll be okay..
  • i got quite a bit of the decking done, then the eyes went south and i had to call it a night. plus, i was 4 beers into it and figured i'd better stop.
    here's how far i got....[hic]
    Loading dock progress1
    Loading dock progress2
    extra innings.....arg.....
  • Decking looks great. Looks like you left one of your beer bottles on the window sill.
  • thanks bryan. so THAT'S where i left it...
  • Really nice. I like the colour variation and the chewed up board ends.
  • thanks joel.
  • Kevin,

The deck boards are fantastic, a real show stopper. Did you use the chalk and alcohol method or another technique or a blend of methods and techniques to get the wonderful variations and coloring?

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • honestly dave, i grained, knothole, bandsawed, frayed, and then hit them with one coat of silverwood stain. that's all i did. certain boards took the stain differently and that the variation you see,
  • thanks killer. :)
  • Thanks Kevin,

Terrific results. Looks fantastic against both the stone and wood siding.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • thank you.
  • the decking is finished and it's on to the fascia. any irregularities where the boards abut the structures will be masked with details.
    decking finished
  • Nice work Kevin.
  • Even without the details, the whole looks super so far !!! You are doing a great job on this build Kevin. I think we all love it !!
  • hey Kevin, nice job, looks great.
  • thanks fellas, i appreciate it.
  • Kevin, Looks great! Colors go really nice together.
  • thanks tom and bryan.