visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

yet another o scale railroad camp build

Comments

• Kevin it depends where you add the knot holes. I agree sparingly used is best. You can always add a few as you build up the walls. It's important to have them randomly scattered and not all at the same or similar heights. Start doing the siding and then see if you want to add more. You can even add them after the boards are glued in place if you are careful.
    Just my two cents
  • Kevin,
    The damp brushing and color of the build is really great.
    Jim
  • thanks for looking joel and jim...
  • i just got the email that my truck repair kit has been shipped! woohoo!!
  • Kevin,
    Like the color variations in the wood. Personally I would add a few more knots.
  • thanks ed and tom. i'm going to need to order some more o scale 2 x 10"s because i'm going to be a little short. my bad. i should have limited the overhand to less than 1/4" like the instructions said, but i didn't, so i basically got one full board per stick when i think i could have probably gotten two if i followed the directions. so...i'm gonna order a dozen from northeast scale models to cover the boards i'm going to take from the loading dock to finish the warehouse. i hope that made sense.....
    oh, i guess the point is, i'll add more knots in the wood i'm taking from the loading dock.
  • edited April 2019
    warehouse walls are all sided. the front wall has to spend the night under the iron, and tomorrow i will trim the walls. i only had to "borrow" four boards from the loading dock, and i ordered a dozen 16" 2x10"s from northeast, so i'll be just fine as far as the boards go.
    pics after trimming.....
    that will probably leave me with enough extra boards to add a false floor to the visible part of the warehouse (with the door open)
  • edited April 2019
    the rear wall of the warehouse is sided and trimmed.
    i like the way the warehouse is turning out.
    rear warehouse wall sided and trimmed
    i'll take an emery board to the window and clean that up after i trim all the walls.

• and the office walls are glued up with the floor installed:
    office walls glued up
  • the truck repair arrived today. holy smokes there are alot of white metal and resin details.....
  • Kevin,

Great photos of the junk that has accumulated outside that auto repair shop. Thanks for posting them.

You have made some great progress on this build fitting it in with your rebuild after the flood, real life work and music gig schedules.

Now that watching college hoops and pulling for the Blackhawks to sneak into the playoffs are not taking so much of my time, I'm reading and rereading the manual for the Truck Repair kit. There are some new build ideas introduced for the exterior structure wall framing which are a bit different than the laser cut frame walls we are accustomed to in Brett's kits.

The new white metal castings in the Truck Repair Kit will blow you away. Going through them now and doing some preliminary sorting prior to blackening. Next up sorting the resin castings. Love that resin smell!!!

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • edited April 2019
    Kevin,

You have made some great progress on this build fitting it in with your rebuild after the flood, real life work and music gig schedules.

Great photos of the junk that has accumulated outside that auto repair shop. Thanks for posting them.

Just ordered some of those "grease monkeys" (http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/105/QIAC8DZQIL8W.JPG )
    for the Truck Repair shop from Nigel at Omen-Miniatures. His web page shows that they are available in five different colors.

Now that watching college hoops and pulling for the Blackhawks to sneak into the playoffs are not taking so much of my time, I'm reading and rereading the manual for the Truck Repair kit. There are some new build ideas introduced for the exterior structure wall framing which are a bit different than the laser cut frame walls we are accustomed to in Brett's kits.

The new white metal castings in the Truck Repair Kit will blow you away. Going through them now and doing some preliminary sorting prior to blackening. Next up sorting the resin castings. Love that resin smell!!!

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • thanks dave. both times. lol.
    heading up to miller park tonight for the cubs/brewers game.
    i'm hoping something good happens.
    7 game losing streaks are no fun.
    i got my truck repair kit today. lots of white metal castings. lots of resin castings too, i may have to contact brett about one of them. one of the cabinet sides is paper thin and separated near the bottom, other than that, they're awesome as usual. i haven't even touched the castings on the railroad camp yet. i had to feed my wood jones first......
  • that's a nice dusty brown/gray tone on the new wall.
  • thanks bryan and ed. it was a regl'ar slug fest out there tonight. good my boys won the damn thing. hamels went 6 strong innings. what they needed. a real shot in the arm.
    heyward-2 dingers.
  • This build comes along just fine. Great color on the boards.
  • finished siding the warehouse yesterday. after taking this picture i trimmed out the windows and doors.
    warehouse walls sided and trimmed
  • Kevin. Nice color on the siding lookg good. ....Carl.........
  • thanks carl.
  • edited April 2019
    dave,
    the grease monkeys that i got from omen were unpainted. i enjoy painting figures, so i ordered them unpainted and saved a few bucks. they are great figures though. i think they're on a par with buffalo landing figures.
  • Great start Kevin and superb wood work thus far. I really enjoy this part of a build and equally enjoy seeing a modeler take the time, as you have, to work up the wood detail so nicely. Well done.
  • thanks ken. somebody should have stopped me when i started trimming out the right wall. i did the freight door and window upside down. [forehead smack!] the trim is back off and the window out and i'm going downstairs to fix it in a few minutes.
    i realized my mistake as i was test fitting the walls together.
    oh well, it's an easy fix and i'm already making pretty good time on this kit (relatively speaking)....
  • Kevin,

I agree with your assessment of the Omen figures being on a par with Buffalo Landing figures. Might venture into a few unpainted Omen figures in the future. Your painting of those "grease monkeys" is fantastic.

Cub fans had better all chip in and buy you season tickets for the Cubs as their win this early season was at a game you attended. Just read where a Cub pitcher left the game early with a possible ham string injury. What next? White Sox are also having their share of woes. An early season ending for my Blackhawks with another year of no post season play for the once mighty Blackhawks. Hoping for a better outcome next season.

Later, Dave S. Tucson,AZ
  • edited April 2019
    cubs win 10-0! it was john lester, and its a tightness in his hamstring. i haven't heard how long he's going to be out. if at all. engine909 would be the guy to ask. he's a pitcher (was a pitcher) and knows more about sports than espn.
    prime the figures with a tan spray paint. make a flesh tone wash and apply that to all the "skin" that's showing. then take an acrylic paint and a fine brush and go to town on the clothes. when dry touch up the flesh tone and voila! it's pretty easy.
    by the way, i re-trimmed the right wall the right way, and did a test fit. perfect. now i'm working on a floor with a bunch of 1x6"s that i happen to have a good stash of, so i can keep the door slightly open.
  • Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. I enjoy building structures with interiors whether they will be seen or not. It is just part my rough-in and finish carpentry DNA/background, I guess.

Wow, what a final NCAA championship game last night. I'm not a fan of either team so I wasn't really rooting for either to win. Just sat back and enjoyed the game. In my mind Virginia had to win that game it wasn't handed to them as so many past championship games have been where one team is primed and the other is flat. Texas Tech will be back next year with a bit more experience and a new group of players who buy into that coach's program.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • no you can't make that suggestion.

the pinhead in me struck again a few minutes ago:

while cleaning off the glass worktop and scraping piles of rembrandt powder into tray, i sneezed and spilled a boatload of powder on my jeans. does anyone have any tricks for removing the powder from jeans without staining them?
    sheesh......
  • glad to entertain.
  • Kevin,
    I have learned the hard way, spilling A/I, paint, chalk, etc. on my cloths. I have special "modeling" clothes that I wear just to work on my dioramas. ;-)
  • the jeans have been laying across the dryer for a few days now, it does not appear as if she has a plan.... :smile:
  • that won't happen