visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O scale Railroad Camp

Comments

• Thanks guys. Took a break from shingling and finished up the doors on the warehouse side wall. I sanded one edge of the door to thin it out so it could open a bit more. The colour matched pretty well.rsz_img_4046
  • Very realistic weathering on the siding and roof. Great job Joel.

Jerry
  • color matches perfectly, excellent!
  • Done the shingles. Expecting a package any day now but I'll keep forging ahead until it arrives.rsz_img_4047
  • how did you support the floor in the warehouse?
  • Kevin I just used some 1/8 square strip wood around the inside of the walls. Really easy.
  • easy peasy. thanks!
  • Ok on to the loading dock. I built the frame as per the instructions although I didn't need to use the true sander as I used the razor saw to cut each piece. Not sure why but I like diagonal bracing so I stained up an extra piece of 1 X 4 and added some bracing and nail holes. It's glued to the warehouse now but not the stone foundation. That's just placed there for now. rsz_img_4219
  • that looks great!
  • The coloring is perfect. Love the Sierrawest stencil. Fantastic modeling.
    Jim
  • edited April 2019
    Started the decking- still a ways to go....rsz_img_4265
    Got a bit bored so started the shed. To be different yet again, these are stained with CA over white craft paint. Really pleased with the colour variations. Still have to stain some nail holes and add door hardware. I think I'll add some knot holes too.
    rsz_img_4266
  • Your wood colors and textures are really GREAT!
  • edited April 2019
    Joel,

Some truly amazing textures and weathering are on display on that shed wall.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/671/KZQMEBXDZ9JB.jpg
    Thanks for sharing your ideas and photos. Could you give more specifics on your "CA" over white craft paint technique? What are you using for your "CA" mix? Do you brush on the top coat and wipe it off or is there another technique you use?

Thanks, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Loading dock is finished with nail holes and some shading. Just crying out to be buried under a ton of fantastic Sierrawest castingsrsz_img_4288
    rsz_img_4289
  • that looks great. i like the diagonal bracing too, seems more prototypical to me.
  • All of your wood has a nice sun-bleached look to it.
  • Thanks Tom, Kevin, Dave and Bryan. I'm really pleased with this new technique and it's really simple to do. I use white paint from a tube. The cheap acrylic from Michaels called "basic". Put a dab on my palette and dip a brush in it then wipe off almost all of it. Then I vigorously rub the wooden boards holding the brush at around a 30 degree angle so as to deposit a white haze on the raised area of the wood. I work on glass and can see the white haze build up on the glass around the strip wood. Since they've been textured already the grooves or "grain" gets no white paint. I find if I let this dry for 5-10 minutes I get a better effect. Then I take the normal 308.5 and 308.3 and scrape a couple of piles onto my work surface. I dip a brush in alcohol and then just the tip in one of the piles. Then paint on the CA and immediately pull the strip wood through my fingers to remove most of it and force some down into the grooves. The white lightens up the CA on the surface and the dark colour stains the grain. Only problem I've had is that it seems this step has to be done very quickly so I dry brush the white on all the wood and then do the CA on each piece one at a time.
  • edited April 2019
    i'll have to try that technique one of these days. results are great. actually it sounds very similar to the damp brushing except there's a base coat of acrylic white.
  • Joel, the stonework is SO WELL done. As are the bleached boards. Love it so far....
  • Thanks Robert and Ed. I guess luckily my package with the Repair shop is still in the mail so I have an extra couple of days to get this structure a bit further along. Almost finished the little side shed.rsz_img_4294
    rsz_img_4295
  • This is the first time I hear someone wishing his SW kit won't be there to soon...
    The side shed wall looks fine !
  • Catching up here Joel. Outstanding work!...I can "feel" your enthusiasm...your attention to detail just oozes from every aspect of this build. You are bringing a fresh and wonderful perspective to your wood work, it has such a unique and signature look about it...great stuff...Ken
  • Not sure why I din't do this for the upper front windows but spent an hour today rebuilding the front windows board by board on the stone wall. Quite pleased with the result.rsz_img_4297
  • outstanding.....my jaw's still on my laptop....
  • if my rr-camp turns out half as good as this, i'll be a happy boy.
  • edited April 2019
    Joel,

How did you get those relatively clean spots on the very dirty pieces of the window
    glass? Did you use a variation of the "salt" method for bringing out rusty weathering? Great original artistic touch!

Your weathered shed siding is mesmerizing.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • You are making us all look bad by building your windows.
  • Dave I just followed the directions and misted the acetate with dullcote That's what happened. Cool effect. Making the windows was straight forward, True confessions, I used a template. I took the original lazerboard window and peeled off about half to decrease the thickness then I weathered up some spare HO lumber 2x2 and 2x4 and I glued the pieces to the lazerboard template. I measured each off the template as I was doing it and was careful not to cut right through the template. When dry I turned it over and trimmed off any parts that were extending past the template. Then I peeled off the paper backing and stuck on the acetate. Tah duh. Most of modelling is just putting in the time to do crazy things like this.
  • edited April 2019
    Well the postman arrived and brought a small package so I think this is a great place to put everything on hold for a month or two while I tackle part two. I completed the wiring for the lamps and the roofs so it really is great timing. Still a ton of details to add but at least the structure is pretty solid.