visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O scale Railroad Camp

Comments

• Love that wall and sign. Killer job!!!!
  • I would have put "Joel's Supply"! Looks good though.
  • Stencil turned out great.
  • wow!!! that looks outstanding!
  • Joel,

said..."Well you go away for a week and you lose total control of your thread."

While you took a short break the guys were just trying to keep your topic "active" until you returned.

Thanks for telling us how you chose to execute Bryan's suggestion of a "stenciled sign." I now have that idea filed and ready for use on a few builds.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ

• Did some more weathering on the front of the warehouse. Rust streaks and greenish slime added. Subtle but I do think it improves the look.rsz_img_3996
    Now time to assemble the building.
  • Nice job on the coloring Joel. Great effect at the bottom with the green just enough.

Jerry
  • Joel,

I really like the coloring you have achieved on the wall.

Frank
  • very nice!
  • Thanks Jerry, Ed, Frank and Kevin.
    Glued on the front wall and worked a bit on the interior.rsz_img_3999
    rsz_img_3998
    rsz_img_3997

The top view shows a bit more where I cheated and used photocopies of floor and walls to fill in. Not quite done but I'm ready to leave this and start on the office roof.
  • Joel,

Those photocopies look great. Where did you find them?

Frank
  • Hi Frank. The floor in front of the door next to the work bench is real weathered wood from an old clinic I attended. I didn't have enough to finish floor so I used a photocopy for the floor under the window which is barely seen. Same with the walls I added some studs over the work bench to give the illusion it is all board on board but its actually a photo with the studs glued on. The wall with the door is real as are a couple of small areas.
  • Photo copies are very convincing and great idea.
  • Ok on to the Office roof. I glued it on, Covered it with transfer tape and trimmed the edges with stripwood. I also added the rafters as I find it easier to do at this point and less likely to damage the shingles.rsz_img_3992
    rsz_img_3993
  • it all looks so precise. outstanding job.
  • All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Great texturing and weathering on the wood.
  • Thanks guys, so far so good. Now on to shingling. I wanted distressed shingles so against the advice in the manual I tried using a wire brush and all but shredded the shingles. I stained the sheets with CA and love the thin wood and varying thicknesses. I started out using strips of 5-6 shingles but quickly realized that it made the effect a bit blocky so I opted to put in the 2 hrs extra work and cut up the rest of the sheets and mixed them all up in a big pile and started to apply the shingles individually. rsz_img_3994
    rsz_img_3995
  • nothing quite like individual shingles. that looks just like my neighbor's roof.
  • Joel,

Looking good. I love using that transfer tape for doing the shingles. So much easier than glue.

Frank
  • Frank, the transfer tape is great but I still put a small dab on the shingle below so each shingle is secured in two places. Probably overkill but it only adds a small amount of time.
  • Great coloring on the walls.
  • Shingles look GREAT! Well worth the extra time and effort.
  • Well finished one side of the roof. Thought the colour might be too pale but it turned out like a sunbleached shake roof.rsz_img_4041
    Small but good problem is that I see from the website that the Truck repair Shop is shipping. Hope I can finish all these shingles before it arrives as I plan on switching to that build and then returning to this one.
  • A great looking roof by any standard
    Terry
  • roof looks fantastic Joel, and the coloring is spot on for my eyes with the sun bleached look !!
    --Paul
  • i'm looking at my neighbor's roof, then the laptop, then the roof, then the laptop and there is no discernible difference. your coloring is spot on.
  • Joel,

Roof looks great.

Frank
  • shingles look terrific Joel. Color is right on
  • Very much so. Great color. Enough variation within the tones, but. They all blend together. Nice job !