visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O scale Railroad Camp

Comments

• Excellent work on the window frames, looks more professional. Nothing wrong with the original version, but it does make a difference. I'm going to look into that tool too. Can't have enough tools, I keep getting more.
  • Thanks so much guys. Quite a simple technique and no fumes. A bit cartoony but that's what I like.
    I tried the same on the warehouse, this time using black instead of dark brown, but it was too stark and not bleached out enough - like Karl I wanted a much older warehouse. .rsz_img_3790
    So I lightly streaked the wall with light grey and tan chalk. Just touching the raised areas.rsz_img_3791
    Then I take a soft brush and dip it in alcohol and remove most of it and brush with the grain. Blends everything and gives it that dusty old look but you can still see the grain and distress marks. rsz_img_3793
    Not done yet but way closer.
  • Joel,

Just keeps getting better and better with each new post. As I said earlier, I am learning quite a bit from your posts about some new techniques to attempt. Thanks for the continuing posts and photos.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • looking fantastic Joel. It's always amazing how versatile these chalks are once you master the basics. Putting your own added touch/methods has led to exceptional results.
    Really nice work and colouring.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Dave and Karl. Still working on the warehouse portion. Finished the windows and installed the door. Still some weathering to go. The door really matches the colour of the siding because I built it up board by board after using the same staining techniques. I wanted a door on a sliding rail and was hoping to do a minimal interior even though this is pretty much a backround building.
    Still have to add the fire extinguisher and maybe some signs.
    rsz_img_3833
  • looks awesome!
  • Beautiful wood work Joel. The door turned out really nice. Love the weathering on the door hardware.
  • That turned out great.
  • Joel,
    Love the color and texture of the wood.
  • an attempt to stage what I have completed to get a sense of it as I work on interior details and signage. I do feel the warehouse calls for some sort of sign. Thoughts?
    rsz_img_3841
  • i think a faded, painted on (stenciled?) sign like the one on blue sky would be real cool. your wood treatment looks excellent. so do the stone walls. it all looks great.
  • Yes. To Kevin's point, a stenciled sign would look great. I had a stencil made for mine. I'll post a pic if you like.
  • Joel. Put your name on it like [ Joel at his best ]. Carl...........
  • Thanks for the input Ed, Kevin Bryan and Carl. I'd love to see the stencil you had made. Didn't even know that was a thing. I don't want to make it too busy because it is part of a greater scene but a faded stencilled sign sounds like a good way to go.
    I'd like to hear from the Karl and Brett on this as there might be a very good prototypical or aesthetic reason there was no signage.
  • Thanks Joel, didn't want to hijack your thread.

I have a fellow On30 friend who works for a graphics/printing company. He made the stencils for me. I had this build in mind for the stencil but as you can see, he did a whole sheet for me so I could do rolling stock, etc. I know there are companies out there that will provide this service as well. I've gotten plenty of use out of them.

Funny how we see flaws in our older builds now...I see lots of things I would like to have done better or differntly in this photo.
    IMG_0111
    IMG_0112
  • If...you were to use a sign...and if....you were to include it in Railroad Camp...that would be the spot! I would call it "Gallant Industries" ..sorry you can't use it as I have a copyright on that name that I will be using on a future SWSM build! Love what you're doing Joel and once again, beautiful woodwork. I like the teaser photo of the splendid interior of the warehouse.
  • Looks great Joel. Yes do your name!

Jerry
  • i started on mine and i think i kinda screwed the pooch. the manual says to spray paint the scribed clapboard 2nd floor walls flat black on both sides. my black rattle can paint was sputtering, so instead i used a brown paint. the problem is that now i can't see the scribed lines. what's the work around?
  • Kevin, you could try drybrushing with a tan color to see if the scribe lines pop out.
  • thanks bryan, i'll give that a shot tomorrow.
  • engine909 said:

Will Keith Richards outlive a cock roach?

I believe that Keith Richards died of massive organ failure in 1982. What we observe now is his zombified remains.
  • i thought he died when he fell out of the palm tree.....
  • i blush....
  • Well you go away for a week and you lose total control of your thread. Serves me right for taking a break. Trying some things with the interior of the warehouse. Nothing glued down but I like the arrangement. This is a background structure so I'm not going too crazyrsz_img_3982
    rsz_img_3983
  • that looks great! i guess i better order some extra wood....
  • Terrific job Joel!
  • I like the idea of a full interior
  • edited March 2019
    Thanks all. Not sure where all the castings came from. A few are SierraWest but most are just from my part box and just not quite good enough for close inspection. The wall and floor are from a clinic I took with Dave Revelia. Again won't stand up to close inspection but the colouring is good. I didn't have enough wall or floor so I photocopied both and printed matte pictures and used those in less conspicuous spots. If you look the wall with the door is 3d while the wall behind the workbench is 2D. I will improve this a bit this weekend.
  • I really liked Bryans stencil idea so I made one. I printed the name on a scrap and covered it with tape. Then I took an hour and carefully cut out the black letters leaving a stencil. rsz_img_3990
    I held it in position and dabbed some ivory paint with a small brush and voila:
    rsz_img_3991
    Still some weathering to do but much better. Hopefully I can glue the building together and finish the interior this weekend.
  • wall looks awesome. kinda partial to the sign!