visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Another O scale Railroad Camp

Comments

• Finished the right wall. Added nail holes with a pin and then couldn't see them so I went back and using A/I and C/A and a 10/0 brush I dabbed a bit on each hole.rsz_img_3689_1

Now on to windows. I don't usually promote stuff here but I love this tool from MK or Micromark. Great little saw and it fits in the slots in the kits templates/jigs. So instead of having a too smooth knife cut I get a slightly roughed up but square cut. Minimal need for the tru sander or distressing afterwards.
    rsz_img_3692

I deviated from the manual again by building each window on the template and then I'll pick the best to go on the front wall. Still needs some details but getting there.
    rsz_img_3690
    rsz_img_3691
  • Crazy good!!!!

Frank
  • I've been debating getting that tool. You just convinced me.
  • Nail holes are perfectly done Joel. Subtile as they should be but make such a nice look and once again, wonderful wood work.
  • Almost finished one wall - added the windows. Just the bottom sashes and the shades to go.rsz_img_3706
  • Nice color variation
    Terry
  • The texture and color are just amazing Joel.
  • sdrees said:

The texture and color are just amazing Joel.

Yes Joel, tons of character in that wall. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
    --Paul
  • You sure nailed the aged wood look on this wall
  • Joel. That has got to be the best weathering that I have ever seen. ....Carl............
  • Very well done that wall ! !
  • Joel,

This photo shows off your weathering to great effect. What a "wow factor" for this structure. Can't think of anything to add that hasn't already been said by Ken, Ed, Terry, Steve, Paul, Bryan, Carl and Robert.
    http://www.craftsmankituniversity.com/vanforum/uploads/imageupload/388/1JDI0BCKQPPA.jpg

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ

• Thanks Ken, Terry, Ed, Steve, Paul, Bryan, Carl, Robert and Dave. I just made up the technique last week and this was my first try (yes I experimented with an expensive kit). Carl you're a bit over the top but I do appreciate the hyperbole.

I've decided to start a bit of work on the stone wall (my favourite part) and then get back to finishing up the rest of the walls and windows.

Hopefully pictures later today
  • kebmo said:

karl,
    please explain what you mean when you refer to CA.

Chalk and Alcohol. An not the kind you drink use the cheap stuff!!

Jerry

• Way to start a build Joel!...that wall has set the character of the entire build. Love what you have achieved here.
  • Love it - going to look so good above the first floor stonework!
  • hey Ken thanks I agree in this model the character of the wood work is paramount and the contrast of the various ages of wood on the different structures. To offset both Brett brings up the amazing interlocking castings that make up the lower level. Sadly much of it is hidden by adjoining structures but it is fantastic.

Here's my first pass at the front wall.
    rsz_img_3705 (1)

Since building my first O scale kit (The Rigging Shed) I have always loved the way you can actually build a door stick by stick. That shed is still one of my favourite models. I thought I'd try and do the same here using the laserboard provided as a base and using the scrap wood from the siding to overlay. Still needs some hinges and a knob but it should pass.
  • Nice. A great looking door!

Jerry
  • Joel,

Nice to see how each piece of the final puzzle is shaping up piece by piece, segment by segment. Always looking forward to more progress posts as pieces of the puzzle are added along with photos.

Will you try to match the door weathering to the siding weathering or do you have something else in mind.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • yeah, it sure is. so far everything looks fantastic. i'm almost finished with o'neill's (didn't you start yours after me?) and i have this on deck. i love what you did with the siding. i'll probably do my 2nd floor siding with a trace of red in it. at least that's what i think now....
    i can hardly wait to get to those stone walls....
    and engine909 (not the one after 909) sad we're going to do joint build, so t hat should be fun.
  • Stonework look great after only the first pass
  • I was going to say the same thing. Great work.
  • edited February 2019
    Dave I'm considering a peeling paint effect for the door but I kinda like it as it is.

I did indeed start after you but I didn't have a flood and other major issues to deal with.

Thanks Bryan and Robert. I'd like to add a bit of slimy green to some of the lower stones and maybe darken the grout in some parts for more contrast.

Office walls are done.rsz_img_3734

Now just the glue up. Experimenting with colouring the siding on the warehouse. Then I can start that structure.
  • Love it Joel! Stonework looks like stonework! Great window detail. Really like the window frame finish you achieved, contrasts nicely with the casings and the blinds are a great touch.
  • Love the coloring of the wood.

Frank
  • Thanks Ken, Frank and Ed. I really do like to share what I'm building it may not be for everyone but I know that I've learned a ton of great techniques on this web site and I'm glad to experiment and pass on what might work for me.

The clapboard part of the office is mostly done now so I'm staging it here:rsz_img_3782

Now on to the Warehouse.
  • That’s some of the best wood coloring I’ve seen Joel. Great job!
  • Joel,

One sweet build to date. I'm learning a lot from your explanations and photos.

The windows on the second story clapboard section of the Office are executed exceptionally well.

I would have to guess that the SierraWest O-Scalers among us are all anxiously awaiting the release of the Truck Repair Shop.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Joel. It is not the best that I ever seen but nothing compares to it, Is that better.

I am going to build the machine shop next and make it into a box and stave factory and want to get the same look that you have........Carl............
  • Love the look of the wood! Great weathering too. The trim on your windows are so precise. Nice work!