visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Logging disconnects (Into the Woods)

Comments

• Bryan,

Really a special project with spectacular results.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, Az
  • edited February 2019
    By an outstanding modeler
    Terry
  • This is looking terrific Bryan!
  • Beautiful diorama and modeling.

Frank
  • More killer scenic work Bryan!...love that first pic.
  • Fantastic work Bryan. Love the scene.
  • The loco scene is very well done. Really natural. I like the logs held by the iron posts.
  • Thanks guys. I'll try to get some more photos outside with the whole train attached.

Brett will be surprised to learn that the footprint required for the Dueling Shacks is greater than listed in his instructions. I found that I needed 9" x 36" just for the tarpaper shack.
  • Hah! Yes, well that is a bit surprising...
  • The shack walls and roof are up. Still need to detail it but needed to place it to visualize this side of the diorama.

And yes, the entire 9x36 is required for the shack.

I placed the 2 other trees (minus foliage) in the center of the dio in the 2nd pic with roots leading down to the water. Having them here and leaving the area by the shack open signals the train is headed into the woods...the premise all along. I can move 1 of the trees to near the shack. The trunk cuts the view of the sawfiler car in half which is bad...but the view block requires a looker to get close to see the car which is good. Decisions decisions.

IMG_0082
    IMG_0083
  • edited February 2019
    i think you should leave the trees where they are. it looks great
    as is. i can't wait to see it lit up.
  • This is an amazing diorama. The only thing I would add is LED lights at the top of the box so they can illuminate your fantastic and detailed work. Phil.
  • Kevin, I think I agree 98% about the placement of the trees. Couple more days should ge the other 2%.

Phil, lights are in the works. I'm overcomplicating it so it is taking longer than it should.

Ed, which one?
  • it's been quiet for two days and i can't stand it. what's going on?
  • Sorry Kevin. My wife and I have been binge watching Hawaii 5-0. The new one. Started at season 1 episode 1. Half way through season 3 now.

I have the LP's almost finished. Should have the ones riding the train in place over the weekend. from there I can start the scenery on the near side of the tracks. The shack is almost done also. Need to start working on the castings. Got wires run underneath the base to connect light in the loco and 1 in the shack, also got the housing for the LED strip cut to fit, now I need to paint it so it blends in to the scenery.IMG_0085
  • edited February 2019
    I remember watching the original Five-0....”Book em, Dano”....1969 or there abouts when I was home ported in Gulfport MS....LP looking good,br
    Terry
  • bryan,
    i wasn't "picking" on you, the forum was quiet for two days and I wanted to wake it up a little. your lps look fantastic. where did you get them?
  • No worries Kevin, but I was messin with you (;

This motley crew came from a variety of places...McKenzie, Artista, Phoenix, MK35, Backwoods Miniatures, and Reaper. Basically ones that had been accumulated over the years and looking for homes.

I tried Carl's suggestion of a tarp covering the cab but it hid the engineer's head. I liked the tarp so I moved it to another location. The crew is along for the ride. I think I'll add some logging blocks, etc to the decks with them. The shack crew is arguing over something that has yet to happen...I think it will be funny when the scene is complete. And if you look very closely at the edge of the pond you might see an interesting character fishing.IMG_0091
    IMG_0089
    IMG_0090
    IMG_0088
  • Great Job Bryan I am a fan of LP it makes it come alive. .......Carl.........
  • Hey Bryan, I also am a fan of LP. I like the story they tell.
  • Brilliant Bryan

That little gnome is a great little dtail. Will be a fun thing for people to try spot.
  • Thanks guys. I'm a big fan of populating a diorama or layout. It just makes me happy.

Shine on you crazy diamond, Ed.
  • edited February 2019
    The last major component of the model is installed along with the first layer of ground cover. I've been using a rocky mix all over with this build given the rock formations. I'll use a finer mix to work on paths, etc.

The light is installed inside the shack. Only lights left are the main ones. Easy to install, not as easy to run right. The water creep up the side of the walls is from the scenery adhesive. I'll see what it looks like once dry. May need to touch it up some. This adhesive can leave a satin sheen on wood. IMG_0098
    IMG_0099
  • Bryan. I use a eye drop with A in it first then mat medium after the A stopes the creep up the wall.
  • More killer scenic work Bryan! Your dirt work is well thought out.
  • Thanks Ken. Carl, I usually use matte medium. For this one I used AK gravel fixer instead. Not a problem after it dried. I'll post some pics later. The diorama itself is nearly complete with just a few minor things left to do.

I started on the lights. There is a channel angled at 45 that houses 53 RGBW LED's. 2 more inside diorama for total of 55 seperate pixels. I built a controller...hopefully correctly...to program the lights. Next step is to learn how to program which should be interesting. My fall back plan is to hire a teenager to program for me.
    IMG_0106
    IMG_0107
    IMG_0108
  • edited April 2019
    It's a nice day outside so I thought I would give an update on this build. I'm using these last set of photos to work on a couple of small details...add a bit of grass in front of the beer mishap to shape the space and work on the trickle of water in the stream. Please chime in with other ideas.

The facia is stained the same color as the box and blends in perfectly. Ended up with about 20 trees in a 9" x 36" space.

Still stuck in neutral with programming the lights. I just need to dive in I think.

IMG_0896

IMG_0910

IMG_0902

IMG_0903

IMG_0905

IMG_0907

IMG_0909

IMG_0912

IMG_0914

IMG_0920

IMG_0923

IMG_0924

IMG_0927

IMG_0900
  • This i a great looking diorama Brownbr. The scenery is fantastic and I like the different stories the LP add.
  • superb, everything looks like it belongs together. just right!
  • Nice work Bryan, very impressive.