visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Logging disconnects (Into the Woods)

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Sorry Kevin, no update on the tree project. I did pick up some clay product to make the trunk and I was out in the backyard today searching for interesting log material.

I had some time off for the holidays so I used it productively. I test fitted the train on the foam, started carving the foam with a hot knife, constructed the basic box for the display, got a good start on painting the locomotive, and started the "load" being carried into the woods. I also got an interesting reaction on the red paint for the loco roof. It is a red primer from Krylon. I had used a black Krylon primer to get both sides of the roof, then a day later did the top side with red. I got the cracking that you see here. I'm going to try to work with it to see how it looks. Worst case is to strip it and start over.

Phil brought up some good points in his recent post on his layout construction. 1) he used a Trackside Scenery backdrop. I plan on doing the same. I was leaning towards a fall scene, but am going back and forth. Either way I'll be using one of their backdrops. I think if I plan it right I can do the walls and ceiling of the box with 1 backdrop.
    2) the bridge. Phil constructed a fabulous trestle which he said was out of place for his layout setting. So be it. I thought I would do a simple log bridge on this piece, but now I am reconsidering. I've always wanted to do a Maine style truss bridge. I'm going to mock one up and see how it looks here.

Back to reality tomorrow, traveling for work for a week. IMG_0435
    IMG_0776
    IMG_0438
    IMG_0439
    IMG_0440
  • So much great modeling at the beginning of the week.... Thanks for sharing.
  • The motive power and load are nearing completion. Both are heavy beasts and I am working out how to secure them to the base. I'll post some pics of the installation once I'm there.

Also got some more work done on the box and the foam. Backdrop and lights scheduled to be delivered on Wed so I may take some time to focus on getting the base scenery done.IMG_0003
    IMG_0002
    IMG_0006
    IMG_0007
  • Amazing work Bryan.
  • Bryan,

Your diorama case, base scenery rough in, Dolbeer, modified Shay locomotive, log disconnects and saw filers car are/will soon become incredible stand alone contest worthy models. Once combined into a cohesive unit within a Plexiglas case featuring a day to night/night to day lighting sequence I think the compilation will become an unparalleled achievement and display in my modeling experience. Talk about raising the bar! It will be catapulted off the page.
    I am especially interested in seeing how you achieve your lighting (fade sequence) for this diorama as well as the individual component parts necessary to make it happen. The daylight fade into night and back to daylight with the lights of the locomotive lit should be pretty awesome to witness.
    At this point do we know if Brett will be able to include a "How To" video of the train and lighting fade sequence as part of your Into The Woods forum build or is it better suited in his Technique Videos?

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ

• You're a modeling machine Bryan! Your attention to detail and quality work is obvious.
  • Bryan, museum quality and a joy to look at. Keep 'em coming. Phil
  • Thanks Carl, Ken and Phil. Much appreciated.

Dave, thanks for your encouragement and optimism. Setting up the lighting sequence has me a bit scared, but the company swears it will be easy. Maybe I will enlist a teenager to help me. This project sure has me putting my thinking cap on.
  • The backdrop arrived today and I did a test fit. It is 60" x 18". I plan to wrap the inside of the box to minimize the seams.

Pic 1 is a sample of the backdrop. The rock formation will be mostly hiddent by the foam base, but it will play peek a boo in a couple of places. This should help tie the background and foreground together at the ground level.

Pic 2 is the inside of the shadow box. The arrow points up as the box will hang on the wall. I found some really neat triangle shaped trim that I used to soften the right angles of the corners. I don't have the equipment or ability to perform compound miters so I got it close and filled in with wood putty.

Pic 3 I used some paper to cut a template for the backdrop. Notice the double line at the right...I drew a line where I thought it needed to be for the corner. Then thought that I needed to add 2 inches for the trim...hence the second line. The whole thing ended up 2 inches too long. That's why we practice (;

Pic 4 is a test install. Notice how the corners will overlap a bit. This way I can use either the top or side as the part that shows, whichever looks best.

I'll be installing with wallpaper paste to give me the ability to move it a bit without having the instant stick of a spray type glue. I'll plan on doing 1 side at a time to cut down on potential problems.

I'm going to think this through to make sure it is the best way to go about it before cutting the backdrop...which will give me some time to start playing with the lights which came today also.IMG_0781
    IMG_0782
    IMG_0783
    IMG_0785
  • can't wait to see how this turns out....
  • Love the Dolbeer. Fantastic work.
  • Everything is coming together so well Bryan, I am really enjoying following your work. Beautiful job on that dolbeer, terrific.

Karl.A
  • Thanks Kevin, Joel and Karl.

I got the terrain roughed out. The rocks were made with pre-colored dental plaster. I got some air bubbles in them which is driving me crazy. Had no problems with it when I did the roof tiles. May try to fill most in and gouge some out so they are not round. The tall tree trunks are place holders here. I'll need to make a couple more trees. I'll have at least 1 big trunk up front that rises out of sight.

Got around to reading the instructions on installing the backdrop. Looks like I will be using a spray adhesive instead of the wallpaper paste. That will add a certain degree of difficulty, but I think it will be safer on the backdrop.

Lights turning out to be more complicated than I hoped for. I'm planning on continuing as discussed but the fall back is to manually tune lights to desired color.

Pulling out the wooden "Dueling" shack to get it's place set.IMG_0008
    IMG_0011
  • OK Kevin. I'm working on the trees. I added a 1 part, air-dry clay/putty for the trunk. Using this for the branches wasn't working so I used some caulking to try to mask the twists. I tried to add some texture to the bark but I'm not a huge fan of it so I'm going to give a coat of spray paint with some texture as the base coat. That will have to wait until it warms up just a bit. Keeping my fingers crossed that these turn out. Worst case will be that I have to try again.

Seen here inside the box to test for height.IMG_0014
    IMG_0015
  • Bryan..What about some side curtain's on my Climax? ......Carl............
  • Nice progress !!
  • Thanks Robert.

Carl, you always have good ideas. I think that would look very nice. My only concern is that the roof is already very low...lower than I would have thought. I cut the posts at 37mm just as the instructions said, but I think 39mm might have been better. I'll add some once the roof is on to see how it looks.

It got warmer than I thought today, its 50. I put a coat of the textured paint on the trees. The wire twists got covered nicely, bark texture not as heavy as I would like so I sprinkled on some N scale ballast. In the garage drying now, I'll put a dark brown spray coat over top of this then bring inside to finish the paint job. Post pics then.
  • I thought it would be helpful to put the train in the box to better visualize everything. I think the tree on the left will need to be re-located or changed to an evergreen with high foliage so it does not interfere with the view of the Dolbeer and sawfiler car. Plenty of time to decide on that though. I'm going to scenic everthing on the far side of the track then install the train then do in front of the track.IMG_0016
    IMG_0017
    IMG_0019
    IMG_0020
    IMG_0021
  • This is coming along very nicely Joel!
  • The color and structure of the rocks is fantastic.
  • Bryan, looks like OSHA might need to make a visit!

Love how your giving progress shots on this project. Your work on those cars and loco are beautiful. It's working out to be a killer diorama.
  • Wonderful progress, what a fantastic project!
  • Thanks guys.
    Ken, once I'm done we may need to call the EPA also.
  • Bryan. How about a spring coming out of some stones or rocks in the background? ......Carl.........
  • Carl, absolutely there will be water coming out of the rocks. I have the channel created for the flow, just need to finalize how I'm going to do it. Mr Moose will be standing ankle deep in a pool. He obviously was startled while taking a drink of water so he looked up to see the train with water dripping from his mouth and antlers.

Dave, once again no smoke generator on this one, but what about this as an alternative?IMG_0022
  • I would leave the smoke off of the diorma.
  • Bryan,

In my December 2018 post I asked you if you planned on having LP on the saw car? You responded..."And of course there will be peeps. I imagine a full work crew hanging on for dear life as the train winds it's way into the woods."
    You didn't disappoint us. Really like the "peeps" hanging on for dear life as evidenced in your attached photos above. The crew is a great addition to the train and overall detail of the diorama. As always thanks for all the photos of the locomotive and work train cars.

Later, Dave S. Tucson, AZ
  • Thanks Steven and Dave. The smoke is growing on me as I put the loco back in the box. Time will tell. It's not glued down yet. Made a wire frame and inserted into a small hole I drilled in the smokestack.

One last update for now. I got the tree trunks painted and I'm liking the way they turned out. The one on the left is a bit spindly at the top, but I think that can be fixed with the foliage. I styled these after an informal upright bonsai as opposed to anything seen in nature as a personal taste. The texture on the bark turned out to be nice. I added foliage to the one that will be on the slope. This is about the orientation that it will be planted. I used Mikroflor mesh style foliage then added some leaves on top for accent. I recently ordered a maple leaf punch and was hoping to make leaves by the hundreds. My package came but that part was not in it. Ugh.IMG_0025
    IMG_0026
    IMG_0029
    IMG_0030
  • Sure looks good !!!
    Terry
  • I wouldn't hide all of the branches, they are nicely shaped. And I am not so sure about the leaves. What I see as the leaves is fine, but all the 'grass' like stuff , the mesh, in between is a little to much. Just my impression.