visit sierrawestscalemodels.com

Logging disconnects (Into the Woods)

Comments

• I'm with Brett, love the wood debris scattered on the decks just as it would be. Also love how your work with a backdrop of a logging layout...very cool!

Gee wiz Muddy, if I worked in O scale it would be like working on my dinning room chair!
  • One could only imagine the quality and detail you would impart in the larger scales....
  • edited December 2018
    Thanks Dave. That a great compliment. But in all fairness to Ken, I cheat by building larger scales. However he does slack by only completing smaller surface areas.

Thanks Ken and Muddy.

I'm thinking about the look of the train and would like some opinions. First some proto photos. I like the look of the disconnects together without the rooster attached like in pic 1. I imagine that heading into the woods either option would be OK. My plan was always to be going into the woods and not out of the woods with a load for a couple of reasons, but all options are on the table at this point. If I do include a load, I like more smaller logs like in pic 2 versus single big logs like pic 3. And for those of us who are concerned about mixing 1:48 and 1:43 figures see pic 4. Also notice the axe burried in the front sled. I'm definitely doing this.

Next set of photos are mock-ups of the train. I added the Dolbeer on one of the disconnects in the first 2 pics. I added a Blacksmith car and a loco to get a feel for the overall size. The next pic adds a flatcar for the Dolbeer. The last pic adds some logs to see what they would look like...I didn't have any smaller ones on hand for now.

I'd be real interested in thoughts and ideas on this.

Camp7Sm
    smm3123h
    log-tram-and-logging-camp-c-1890-daniel-hagerman
    IMG_0369
    IMG_0370
    IMG_0371
    IMG_0372
  • Dave, yes the saw sharpening device will be included as part of a work caboose/sawfiler car. And of course there will be peeps. I imagine a full work crew hanging on for dear life as the train winds it's way into the woods.
  • I believe that this vertical boiler boxcab looks suitably back-woodsie. I'll get to painting it up over the weekend.IMG_0374
    IMG_0382
    IMG_0383
    IMG_0384
    IMG_0385
  • I hope everyone had a very merry Christmas. I sure did.

I'm changing directions on the locomotive. This little guy is cool but the interior detail is not what I want. I have a replacement loco secured and will post more on this end of the train when I start back to work on it.

Moving the the other end of the train, I got some work done on the saw filer car/caboose/tool car/whatever car. I started with a Foothill 20' flatcar. Little bit longer that I first imagined, but it gives me the room to add tons of details inside. These are very detailed kits. My only complaint is the lack of woodgrain in the parts. I considered replacing the deck with wood but ended up adding woodgrain and painting since nearly all of the deck will be covered with "stuff".

I made an ouside braced body and will cover after the interior work is done. Time for an overall dusting/weathering to blend everything together. IMG_0402
    IMG_0405
    IMG_0407
    IMG_0411
    IMG_0414
    IMG_0415
  • Looks almost like a SW kit on wheels.. Great paint job on the platform.
  • Thank you Robert. That is exactly what it is.

A "few" details have been prepped and installed into this ramblin' wreck. The sawfiler stand was a fun build. The turn knobs are NBW castings that were drilled out and .020 wire installed. On to the roof.IMG_0418
    IMG_0419
    IMG_0420
    IMG_0421
  • What a concentration of details here. So much to observe on such a little surface. Most original and very well succeeded Bryan !! Bravo..
  • Wow, just Wow!!! Superb work!!! Phil
  • Bryan. Wonderful piece of work outstanding in every way. ..........Carl.......
  • Thanks Robert, Phil and Carl.

This part of the project is finished...unless of course I start messing with it again.

still have the locomotive and the load to build to complete the train. I'm starting to think about the shadow box itself and the lighting. If anyone is an electrician, I would like to chat with you. I have a plan to use color changing lights to have daytime and nighttime lighting. When it's "night" I want the loco headlight to come on. I'd like to be able to do this with as few moving parts as possible. ie: don't want seperate buttons like on O'Neills. IMG_0423
    IMG_0424
    IMG_0425
  • Meant to include this shot of what the train is starting to look like. I'll be converting the Shay to an open-cab. Total length is 29" which I think is just right to put in a 36" box. IMG_0426
  • Bryan,

This is a super neat logging train. Thanks for sharing the build as well as posting all the photos. The "saw filer car/caboose/tool car/whatever car" is an easy favorite with all the details you worked into it. It is a "Mini Scene" on trucks with all the care, thought and precision you use to complete all your builds.

I don't have an electrical engineering background, or anything remotely close to it, but I suspect that LED's offer some possibility for your Logging Train day/night lighting effects in a Plexiglas display box. A few years back I purchased a rope of LED lights to use as part of my Christmas outdoor decorations and it came with a small remote paddle to change the color of the LED's in the light rope. Not sure but I think the color is variable due to the fact that electrical impedance/flow can determine the temperature of the LED and thus the color emitted. At any rate, the LED light rope has a control box at the end (which could be hidden under the base of the diorama) and it is controlled remotely with the small paddle that comes with the rope light set. Perhaps a call to David Jamison at Evan Designs (303-410-1118) in Broomfield, Co might be in order. (www.ModelTrainSoftware.com) Never know if he has already designed a similar product for day/night light or would be willing to develop and introduce the product to the model railroading market.

Later, Dave S Tucson, AZ
  • Really love the car Bryan, so perfect with a small T Boiler and discons.... hmmmm
  • Thanks Dave. That is exactly what I have in mind. I have a set in mind, but I think I might put that call into David. What I'm trying to make it do is to have the locomotive headlight come on when I switch it into night mode. I envision problems trying to wire up the loco and the lights you describe on the same switch, which is the goal.

Thanks Brett...I think I hear a kit brewing.
  • seriously makes me want to buy a 20' foothill models flatcar and build my own version of it.
  • Bryan....there's a company that sells led lighting kits.....a few different tones of white and yellow hued battery operated....they had fairly long leads so that might help....out til this evening...once I get home I'll look at them in the shop and get you the info...they had resistors and everything....not too much cash.....I picked up a bunch at the Springfield Mass. show last year....you may be able to use a timer similar to a lawn sprinkler to switch between day and night mode as they run off a 14v transformer and have multiple terminals....
  • Thanks Muddy. I'll look forward to it.

Kevin, you will be pleased with a Foothill kit. It has the same level of detail as a SW kit...except the deck. If you are using it for a diorama, I think it is great. If you want to run it on your layout, I have some modifications to suggest. My first plan was to scratch build a 16' car that was similar to the SW Blacksmith car, but I got carried away.

I've been modifying the Shay today. Anyone who has had a Bmann Shay gear split on them will appreciate the irony here. Bmann used plastic gears that split, but the water tank is metal. I know because I spent a lot of time cutting and filing off the flange on the tank. I'm sure this was for added weight, but come on.
    IMG_0427
  • Looking forward to what you do with the shay Bryan, I know its going to be a great looking lead for this train.
    I'm also looking for one of those 'broken' shays and/or climaxes that people have stashed on a shelf to use as a static on diorama.

Enjoying seeing this build progress, as usual.

Karl.A
  • Wow Bryan, Ole #10 looks fantastic, Like Robert mentioned...so many details. Love the rolled up canvas top...beautiful.
  • Bryan....I took some shots...but my technology seems to be malfunctioning...The company name is OGRE Modeling...I just checked their web store....and the don't have the loose LED lights listed. They have come to the Springfield Ma. train show for the past few years...and last I looked are listed to show this year. The goose neck and industrial lights work nice (if I could only get the photos to post).
  • Thanks Muddy. I'll check them out. I have an idea right now that I think will work. Still looking at options.

Karl, I posted on another forum that I wanted to buy a broken Shay. That's where I found this one. I sent a message to Bmann parts asking for a broken one with no reply.

Thanks Ken. Having fun with this one.
  • The Shay is almost in 1 piece. These shots give a good view off the add on parts.

IMG_0429
    TIMG_0430IMG_0431
    IMG_0432
    IMG_0433
  • edited December 2018
    Hi Bryan,
    The scratch building and modifications are really outstanding. Did you cut out the brass sheets for the roofing and floor on the shay or can you buy them? I am an HO guy but would really like to learn how to modify and weather locomotives. How did you do the canvas rolled up ? It is very convincing. Really enjoyed looking at your great work!!!
    Jim
  • i'm pretty curious about the rolled up canvas as well. it looks great.
  • Bryan,
    Love the way the scene is coming together.
  • Jim, the modifications were from a Backwoods Miniatures kit that I've had laying around for years. This seemed like the right time to bring it out.

The canvas rollup was from a Verlindun detail kit I purchase many years ago for a Sd Kfz 251 kit. It never made it to the halftrack, but I like it here. It was just the right length.
  • I've been playing around with a trackplan today. Any creative ideas welcome to improve or add elements.

At the left, the train is leaving the edge of camp. Mock up buildings are for tarpaper shack and the brick outhouse I never got to put in O'Neills. These will hide the track ending at the left. Behind the track the terrain rises. There will be some exposed rock and some cribbing. The peak will conceal the source of a babbling brook that will tumble down to the riser with the critter on it. Maybe a small marshy area here. From there trickle down under the track to the edge. There will be a small bridge of logs or rough timber. Heading off to the right are the woods. I think a large trunk at the right edge to hide the track end might work. The foliage barely visible at the top of the shadowbox as the trunk disappears upward.

I tried out the wire trees to see how they look. I think these will work. I'll need just a few more plus several smaller ones. Probably 1 or 2 big pine trunks also. I believe it will be autumn in the scene. IMG_0773
    IMG_0774
  • any update on the tree project?